Question

Custom URL

• 7 November 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

We are trying to change our Apps 10 instance to use a custom url such as ifs.domain.com so we can use our wildcard certificate to secure the connection. We have a .local internal AD domain (can’t be changed right now) and don’t want to point users to the app server name to access IFS. DNS is pointed correctly.

We have changed the <ifs.system.url> in the instance XML file and started services again, but not sure what else to do to get this to work.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

If possible, in a perfect world, I would suggest reinstalling to create it using the desired value.

That said it is also possible to get it to work by performing a search in the content of all files (using the Windows search feature) inside the IFS installation directory and manually editing those to be as needed.  Make sure the search looks inside compressed files using the search options.  Be sure to stop the instance first before making any changes, then restart the instance when done.  I strongly suggest backing up the instance folder before making any changes too....  You can damage the instance if you are not careful with making the changes, so take care with it.

I did this manual editing approach myself some time back to fix a bad URL where the FQDN was not included and needed to be added.

HTH,

Nick

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

We have reinstalled, but there aren’t defined/known steps to configure the URL. The installer doesn’t prompt for a custom URL when not using a load balancer (4th option). Outside of changing a line in the XML file, we don’t know what else to do.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Then option 2 above is the way to go.

the only other thing I can think is that you could change DNS/hosts file to trick it so that when you perform an installation the installer picks up the URL you want automatically as the server name, but I’m not sure if you have the ability to do that in your infrastructure or not.

Nick

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @crysalis010 ,

You can do this by configuring  a custom access URL using the reconfiguration option in the installer rather making changed in the XML files.

The trick is to use the “SSL Passthrough" option in the “system access setup”. Even though you don’t actually have a load balancer, using this option will allow you to set a custom URL that you can sign using your wildcard certificate which is different from the actual machine domain.

cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I tried that too, but it errors out saying it cannot start with HTTPS in the Proxy URL.

:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@crysalis010 could be a binding issue. have you verified that you can ping the address used in the custom URL is accessible in the MWS VM? I usually create a manual host entry in the machine when i use custom access URL to make sure that the address can be bound to the local IP. 

cheers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

if you can post the error messages in the HTTP server logs we might be able to see what it’s complaining about.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@crysalis010 could be a binding issue. have you verified that you can ping the address used in the custom URL is accessible in the MWS VM? I usually create a manual host entry in the machine when i use custom access URL to make sure that the address can be bound to the local IP. 

cheers 

Confirmed that the IP matches the name and accessible.

I can’t post logs because the installer won’t proceed with the configuration as suggested.