Question

Cloud-Hosted 23R2 alternative means to connect our Excel Metric spreadsheets (instead of On-premise External Data/ODBC Database)?

• 28 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

We have been running IFS for 20+ years and are currently upgrading from IFSAPPS9 to a Cloud-hosted, 23R2 environment. We have developed many external MS Access dB’s and Excel spread sheets linked directly to the IFSAPPS9 dB via the “New Data Source/Form other Sources/ODBC Database”.  What is the “Cloud” means of connecting the Cloud dB to our Key Business Metrics Spreadsheets and MS Access applications?

Excel ODBC Connect to External Data
External Data Source connection to IFS Cloud…???

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi

Unless the company hosting your Cloud installation allows a direct connection to your database (which is very unlikely) I think there are a couple of options:

• implement quick reports or other queries within IFS to download the data
  • use the REST APIs built into IFS Cloud to download the data.  I believe the OAuth2 authentication required to connect to the REST APIs means that you’ll probably need to handle the downloads in VBA if you decide to do this within Excel or Access.

Hope this helps, although I guess either route is a significant change from your current approach.