Question

Apps 9 Admin Server boot.properties

• 18 March 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi there,

Does anyone know what username and password should be entered into the boot.properties file for the adminserver?

wls_domain\CST1\servers\AdminServer\security\boot.properties

I am trying to get an old test verson up and running, I get the following error in the AdminServer.log

Here is the exception from the log:

Caused By: weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid. The user name or password or both from the boot identity file (boot.properties) is not valid. The boot identity may have been changed since the boot identity file was created. Please edit and update the boot identity file with the proper values of username and password. The first time the updated boot identity file is used to start the server, these new values are encrypted.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi 

I have not come across this issue before. Have you tried running a reconfigure of the Applications server, to see if that runs smoothly or throws up any issues?

Mike

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, is that running the installer.cmd and selecting the recoonfigure option.

I have done that, no joy I am afraid.

Kevin

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

ok. I would assume this must be the ‘ifs’ password? (non-db account).

Have you tried copying the encrypted username/password from the file from your live environment?

Sorry for my limited help, just throwing ideas out there, you have probably already thought of. Hopefully someone out there is familiar with this account.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Mike,

Just tried that, with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Kevin

Badge +1

Hello Kevin

That file is used by WebLogic when starting up a server to store the credentials.

Typically located under <DOMAIN>/servers/<SERVER>/security folder. Its content is:

username=<ENCRYPTEDVALUE>

password=<ENCRYPTEDVALUE>

If the boot.properties file doesn’t exist, then the process will try to take the credentials the credentials using other options, such as, from the JVM options or they will be prompted.

When you create that file for the first time, the username and password are entered via clear text. If these credentials are validated against the embeddedLDAP, they will be encrypted to be used the next time the server starts up.

You can use any credentials belonging to the administrator group.

Now the fact that you are getting the “weblogic.security.SecurityInitializationException: Authentication denied: Boot identity not valid.” is a clear indication that the credentials store in the boot.properties file doesn’t match with the data stored in the embeddedLDAP, as a result, the adminserver doesn’t start.

At this point, you got 2 possibilities:

1. the credentials in that boot.properties are incorrect. If you don’t know the password, you can create a new administrator, but doing so, all the users/groups created after the WLS was installed will be removed, yes the embeddedLDAP is reset. More details at https://blogs.oracle.com/imc/change-password-in-oracle-weblogic
  2. the embeddedLDAP got corrupted. Try to restore it. If you are lucky, you should have a backup under the <DOMAIN>/servers/AdminServer/data/ldap/backup folder. If there is some EmbeddedLDAPBackup.[SEQUENCE].zip file, try the last copy. If there is no backup copy generated by WLS, verify if the administrator for this machine took a backup copy to restore.

Before doing any change, take a backup copy of the <DOMAIN> folder.

Best regards,
Mario