Solved

Apps 8 on Android 10

Badge +1

Hi everyone

Could someone tell me if Apps 8 mobile apps can run on Android 10 devices please

icon

Best answer by SHAUN_KERSLAKE 24 April 2020, 13:38

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@pwitsupport We asked the exact same question to IFS support this week. Their response was:

According to information, you are using latest MWO Apps8 version which is de-supported from RnD and it is not support to very latest OS of Android. It is because the framework of it is designed for Older Android versions and Android 10 is released after RnD stop support for MWO Apps8.

Therefore, if you found any issue as a result of OS upgrade to Android 10, my recommendation is "Please don’t upgrade the Android OS version". It is because MWO Apps8 doesn't work with latest. So please kindly downgrade the OS version to something older than Android 10.

Badge +2

We’ve also asked this of IFS too - We go the same response but in addition, the last supported Android OS for MWO Apps 8 is Android 6.0.1!

We have some engineers who have already installed the Android 10 update and can confirm that it is not compatible with Apps 8. As soon as they hit the login button the app crashes out. I don’t believe there is a way to ‘rollback’ android versions on the mobile device and so the device would need to be ‘flashed’ with an older OS before it is useable again.

This causes us many issues as for other reasons (mainly security and compliance) we will need to upgrade to Android 10 at some point soon.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Andy_Bloom IFS are pushing hard now to get all customers moved to Apps 10! Apps 8 support is literally just existing bug fixes only. If you find a new issue, they will not fix anymore even if it is a fundamental bug in the application. So leaves us as customers having to limp through until we upgrade which could be in 2-3 years time.

The Android OS support is also a very big concern for us, and would ultimately bring our business to a stop if engineers could not use IFS on their mobiles!

Badge +2

@SHAUN_KERSLAKE Yes we are suffering from this but as you say are limping through. Current situation aside, upgrade is being considered but as I'm sure you know is a big investment and not a quick process. We will certainly be forced to upgrade our Android OS before we can upgrade IFS ( we have a particular accreditation that we need for certain contracts) so as it stands we have a big problem looming.

We will no doubt be escalating this issue and will see where it goes. I do wonder how many customers on Apps 8 use MWO and will have the same issues are ourselves, I imagine there must be a few!

To make things more difficult the mobile device lifecycle moves fast and so expect phones/tablets to come with Android 10 as standard sooner than we’d like, so until we find a solution we have to remain on what will soon be older devices. 

I’ve heard some customers have moved to ‘TotalMobile’ until they are in a position to upgrade to Apps 10 but I'm not aware of the details or drivers behind this, but additional software cost and integration is not our preferred option. For customers to move away, even in the interim doesn't give me any comfort. I understand the push towards Apps10 but I wonder if they’re leaving users of 8 behind too quickly, it certainly feels like it to us.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Andy_Bloom We would certainly be interested how you get on with escalating this issue with IFS management as it will affect any IFS customer on Apps 8. 

It is such a pivotal and important part of the solution, and as you say new mobile devices will come with Android 10 as default these days. We know mobiles typically only have a 2 year lifespan when it comes to battery and performance; plus engineers can lose, damage existing which results in replacements.

We are in same position, we have plans to upgrade but currently in business case stage as it will be a big investment for the company after only 4 years ago implementing IFS Apps 8!

Keep us updated on any developments!

Thanks

Badge +2

@SHAUN_KERSLAKE

@pwitsupport

Hi both (and any other customers who will suffer from this, if not already)

Just to let you know we are escalating through our account manager Melissa Dickens. Early days and Melissa is having conversations internally about possible next steps.

At this stage it would be extremely useful if we can build a profile of customers who use Apps 8 and MWO, the more customers the better as hopefully this will promote some action from IFS. Melissa is also helping to do this through her network.

Could I ask both of you, and anyone else out there with this issue to e-mail melissa.dickens@ifs.com

expressing any concerns you have and if possible highlight the potential impact to your business. Melissa is ok with this as she is leading this within IFS as confirmed this morning.

I will be reaching out to my network, including past consultants, other customers etc. and asking them the same, and If possible would urge you to do the same.

Thanks

Andy

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Morning  @Andy_Bloom,

Thanks for following this up.

I have just emailed Melissa to explain our concerns on this topic.

We have raised this with our account manager and Adrian McDonald yesterday; but the response we received was that IFS are no longer providing R&D support or development for Apps 8. 

No options were provided; other than to take it up with consultancy at a cost to the business. 

As we know £1k plus per day for consultancy is going to end up costing businesses a lot of money to keep Apps 8 running in the period of time until they upgrade!

Regards

Shaun

Badge +2

Thanks @SHAUN_KERSLAKE

Yes, we are beyond the realms of support on this one now.

At this stage, we are just trying to get IFS’ attention to understand options and so will cross the commercial bridge if we get to it.

Upgrade conversations are in the early days for us (due the size of impact and investment) but the current Covid situation has taken focus away from this for now, so will no doubt mean we remain on Apps 8 for longer which increases the need for a solution to this - we have over 400 mobile engineers!

We have an update in the diary for Thursday so will keep you posted.

Regards

Andy

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Afternoon @Andy_Bloom 

Do you have any update on this issue?

I’ve not heard from Melissa or our own account manager to date but will chase up next week.

Regards

Shaun

Badge +2

Hi @SHAUN_KERSLAKE 

Minimal I'm afraid but still ongoing. We have another update call scheduled next Thursday.

We know of at least 4 UK clients with the same issue and Melissa is trying to get sight of other MWO/Apps 8 customers. She is in talks with R&D but there is nothing tangible to report yet.

We are gathering options, from IFS, internally and may also reach out to partners to understand what might be possible. I have to say there doesn’t look to be a quick or cheap option available to us as even if IFS do something, it will likely be chargeable.

Understand their support position but then it does bring in to question the support we pay for and what value we get for the money.

Will update you next week.

Regards

Andy