Question

Application Server

• 8 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
I want to add a second application server, do i need to i stall all of my patches on the second application server?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hi, welcome to IFS Community. To answer your question, no, you don't have to. If you are a customer who has IFS Support, IFS Support should maintain an up-to-date build for your instance which would have all the deliveries installed, if those deliveries were released. Please consult your respective country organization for help, and they should be able to provide this build to you as a service.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Thanks, but I only have a few deliveries, maybe 5 total, can I install the deliveries on the new application server to get it up to date? Also when I get a new delivery in the future I am assuming I would have to install on both application servers, correct? Is there a way to only install the portion that applies to the application server and exclude the database portion?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
can I install the deliveries on the new application server to get it up to date?

Yes, you can certainly do that.

Also when I get a new delivery in the future I am assuming I would have to install on both application servers, correct?

Yes, but now I am thinking why you would need two application servers, and now I am wondering if you're thinking about clustering. But a cluster is significantly different than having multiple instances (I was under the impression that you wanted to create another instance and retire the old one).

If what you want is to achieve scalability and/or fault tolerance, then a clustered IFS Middleware Server is your solution. Please consult your country organization who will help you to identify the best solution for you.

Is there a way to only install the portion that applies to the application server and exclude the database portion?

Yes, but this is tricky and involves manual steps. This is because IFS is not designed to run with simultaneously running Middleware Server instances (Again: Clustering, yes! multiple instances, no!)
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Just for the information if you are referring to a separate IFS Instance with a separate Database , in order to make the second application server up to date,(If there are many deliveries to be installed,)

Database side
Perform database clone(RMAN/Cold backup restore) from "FirstInsatnce" to "SecondInstance".This involves manual steps such as import/export System Parameters/configurations , Altering the passwords,import/export RMAN configurations etc

- Here you will get DB copy of the FirstInstance with all existing data

Application server side
Install the missing application server parts after the above clone activity or you can create a IFS Home backup/clone from the "FirstInsatnce"and you can restore/recraete it as the "SecondInstance".This also involves manual steps since we need configure this with the configurations settings of the "FirstInstance".

Note:
DB/Application clone options involves steps since we need to make sure the target environment would not interfere with the source environment after the clone activity due to the configuration settings/copied data.