Add Unicode String in Report Designer

• 28 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 36 replies

Hello Community,

I was trying to add a  symbol in the report designer. For this I inserted the character like this in a column in RDF file -

Xml_Record_Writer_SYS.Add_Element(xml$_, 'CHECKMARK', 'RK ' || TO_CHAR(UNISTR('\2713')));

I also tried simply with UNISTR(‘\2713’) , TO_CHAR(UNISTR(‘\2713’) but none worked.

When I printed the report, the character wasn’t showing. When I tried concatenating ‘RK ‘ string before it, only the first string printed -

No Checkmark Symbol

Is it limitation of report designer not able to print unicode characters? Or is there another way to print such characters? (without using images)

Thanks in advance.

Rohit.

icon

Best answer by ChanakaAmarasekara 29 September 2022, 06:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

“UPDATE”

I just checked the XML Data of the generated report, and it shows the character -

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

I tried this and it works. I think the font you are using to show the data doesn’t support Unicode glyphs.

Here are the tests I followed.

1. As you wrote, added the Unicode checkmark in to the xml data through the RDF (Code.jpg)

2. Then previewed the report and I got a square where the checkmark should be (NoMap.jpg)

3. Then I replaced the font which showed the checkmark to a font that support Unicode font characters (Unicode glyphs). Here I’m using the font substitution feature in reporting to map the font used in the layout to another font that support Unicode glyphs. Here I mapped  the Garamond font to Arial Unicode font. (FontMap.jpg).

4. Then I previewed again and now I can see the checkmark without any issue, (Map.jpg)

IFS ships a Unicode font in the UCFONT component. I think you will have to purchase it separately. 

I tried this through the IFS EE client but it should be the same if you preview through the IFS Report Designer tool.

Try the above and see if it works for you.

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@ChanakaAmarasekara Thanks, it worked for me too.

Selecting the Arial Unicode MS font renders the checkmark symbol. I tried with other fonts like Segoe UI Symbol, Wingdings, etc. but none other font renders the symbol.

It was problem of the font that I was using. It was not able to display that checkmark symbol.