Solved

Add quick dimension to existing fact information source

• 17 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

I’ve generated an access view for the FACT_PURCHASE_ORDER_LINE information source.

We have a requirement to also be able to query Supplier for Purchase Part data - I’ve created a Quick Dimension called QDIM_PURCHASE_PART_SUPPLIER, which I’d like to generate an access view for. I understand that the dimension must be linked to an information source fact, but I can’t figure out how to actually connect the two.

I’ve tried adding the dimension on the Information Sources screen but I get an error because there isn’t a dimension ID in the fact table to join on.

I’ve also tried to do it via the Custom Dimension Connections screen, but I get the following error:

It think it’s possible as I spotted a screenshot in the documentation where you can clearly see some quick dimensions connected to a fact table.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by SandT 17 January 2024, 16:26

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @washton ,

You can use Custom dimension connection window to create the required connection between FACT and QDIM.

for more detail check the the below documentation

Overview - Custom Dimension Connections (ifs.com)

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @washton ,

One more suggestion. If your ultimate goal is to generate an access view for just a custom dimension, You can develop a custom information source(QFACT) instead of QDIM. Then you can directly generate access views.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @SandT,

I tried this, but I’m getting an error:

For context, I have the PURCHASE_ORDER_LINE_MVT data mart source enabled.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Just on your second point @SandT, I am considering that.

We will be using the access views for both the Purchase Order Line and the Supplier for Purchase Part data, so I thought having them connected with the single foreign key ID to join on would be handy, but ultimately it’s not a huge issue I suppose.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @washton ,

Got it, You have to add a data access details for the QDIM. Just copy and paste the same view name available under the online view.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @SandT, that has worked!

Thank you for your help, have a good day :)

Regards, William

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @washton ,

Great. You too!

Please do not hesitate to contact if you need further support.