Question

Supplier Payment Proposal Approval Process - Improvement

• 27 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 6 replies

The process for acknowledging a supplier payment process is taking too long.  We review each line of the proposal to ensure accuracy to receiving and the PO.  We also review that any variances are signed off by purchasing.  To do this, we have all the pertinent information scanned as an attachment.

In our legacy system, 3 way matched payment proposal lines would be highlighted.  We would not have to review these lines.

We are looking for some way to make this process more efficient.

Anyone have suggestions? 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello,

Are you using supplier invoice workflow functionality? This is set of tools dedicated to manage supplier invoice authorization for posting = verification of PO, receipt and matching. 

Part of this functionality is enabling automation of authorization in case invoice matches PO receipt without differences or within specified tolerance. 

Another part can automate authorization for payment after successful posting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

I agree with Adam, typically our clients have moved to supplier invoice work flow (posting proposal).  In this AP focusses on “the bad” not the good.  Meaning IFS automates the matching and when an invoice  matches the value received + - allowed tolerance all is good. If not meaning invoice does not match PO receipts  (=- tolerance) we need investigation.   IFS then assigns someone or some group to investigate / approve / reject the “bad”.   It’s a big change from traditional AP, but every client I know likes the change “after” they become familiar with how the process works. 

It’s highly configurable, and forces good behavior.    If Purchasing / price is an issue (meaning PO price is often different from the invoice) the process leads to improvements.  If the PO price is good, AP becomes automatic.   If we have bad PO price,  extra actions are required. It forces process improvements.  

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks Adam and Tom.

We are using supplier invoice workflow and it is working wonderfully.

I was specifically referring to the supplier payment proposal process we have.  In the supplier payment proposal window we don’t know what invoices were perfectly 3-way matched.  Our process is to review every invoice to make sure we are paying the right amount for the correct quantity to the correct supplier. (each invoice has a PDF file attached of the PO, receiving and supplier invoice)  And if there is a discrepancy to the PO, then we are looking for purchasing or requestors approval of this variance.

If we knew what supplier payment proposal line were perfectly 3-way matched we wouldn’t review that line at all.

Thanks

Mark

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

That process sounds rather interesting.   Assuming an invoice was processed (finally posted) it typically would have already been matched with the PO and good to go.    Normally the invoice process is done, then payment is mostly an afterthought - we pay what has been approved for payment.  

Assume a PO received value is 100. Assume the invoice is 102 (and we allow 5 tolerance).  That AP invoice is automatically matched, and the postings authorized. Then either individually or by mass, the invoice is finally posted.   Due to all of the steps that have been taken, the invoice is usually marked as authorized for payment (automatically). 

The payment process normally does not require any other major activities. No further detail review.  We run a payment proposal do a quick review to make sure nothing strange sticks out (for example we need to stop a payment on vendor XYZ make sure XYZ invoices are removed). - Usually this is a very quick review. Then proceed to create the payment order.   I’ve never had a client say this process is long / time consuming / difficult - Sure the first time is a learning process but after that it’s really easy / quick. 

“OLD School”   I have seen “old” procedures where AP then matches paper invoices to the the payment process.   That’s not a typical IFS process, as all the data is in IFS / connected to the payment.  I’ve recommended clients with these very old procedures to stop doing that.  If this is your current process then consider a change. We should not need to do the matching of a payment and the PO / Invoice again. The invoice matching & AP work flow already did that. 

You should be using automatic payment proposal and allow IFS to select what’s to be paid by a given date (for example paid by Friday). Then review what IFS suggested and that’s about it.   That’s a typical flow (more or less).   

Hope this helps, 

If you want - maybe request some time and we can look (screen by screen) at your process and find ways to make life better. 

Best regards, 

Thomas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am subscribing to the Thomas’ explanation. In well designed process each task is to be done once.

If supplier payment workflow is in use, during payment process all the checks related to correctness of invoice matching with PO and receipt have been performed already, and variances identified, justified and approved. Doing it once again is pointless.

At the payment stage you should avoid fraud only - ensure that all invoices included in the payment proposal have been finally posted (i.e. passed through supplier workflow) or have proper payment justification of exception. You should pay attention to the PrelPosted invoices and advance invoices included; invoice workflow have not been applied for them.