Question

Reason Code for External Payments

• 10 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
  • Do Gooder (Employee)
  • 14 replies

I’m setting up a cloud solution surrounding the information regarding the External Payment Parameters.

One of the tell me to “Modify Reason Codes in External Payment Parameters”.

I cannot find the Reason Codes within External Payment Parameters, the only parameters that I find in regards to External payments are Return Reason Codes.

When I look at the External Payment Details, I have the columns Reason Code but even if I have errors, no Reason Code is presented, I assume these needs to be created.

Does anyone have a clue of the functionality of the Reason Code and how I set this up?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

I believe the reason code is something a bank would provide.  Reason code from the bank can then be used to create a new difference item and designate the IFS difference code.  The customer / bank will have an established set of reason codes.   IFS has an established set of difference codes. The reason codes per message class can then be use to map an apple to an orange (bank value apple = IFS Difference code Orange). 

Reason code is independent of processing errors.   Meaning you can have reason codes and no errors, or reason codes with errors.  The error and the reason code mostly would be unrelated unless a specific rule is based on reason code. 

Hope this helps. 

It may be best to review sample external payments in a reference database.   For example, see sample MTT940.   

Best regards, 

Thomas