Solved

(QR Code) Scanning for automated data entering

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We are considering to implement a (QR) scanning solution for QR invoices. We want to scan the QR code and automatically fill in the available information into the specific fields.

Is there a standard solution for this? Do we have to use a specific interface instead of the data entry screen? Or is there any other easy way of implementing this?

icon

Best answer by Michael Biedermann 26 August 2020, 15:18

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Michael,

I take it that you are thinking about supplier invoices here. However, what is the content of the QR code. Sure I understand that the name of the supplier will be included, invoice number, but what else?

What are your ideas about every supplier might include different data in the QR code?

Steve

Sorry had to prepare a nice example :-)

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Steve

the content of the QR code in Swiss QR invoices is clearly specified: Account Number, Creditor Address, Reference Number, Debtor Address, Amount and Currency. 

So when we scan the QR code of such an invoice, we wanted these fields to be filled in automatically.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Found something on: https://www.gstzen.in/a/e-invoice-quick-reference-code-qr-code.html

Interesting to see that the highest value is included in their e-invoice QR code.

So multiple fields are included. One of the fields might be invoice date. What will be the format that it is written in? What is delimiter used. If there is a standard for the content of such a QR code, is it world wide the same or is it different per country?

Anyway, I think that you would have to prepare a csv that will be loaded in IFS. Like to hear if I'm thinking in the wrong direction. 

Steve

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yes, a csv would be a “interface solution”. Another solution could be to fill a custom field and have an event to spread its content to the other fields… I will check the link you sent. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Michael,

For what its worth.

I once worked with a Motorola scanner that allowed me to program quite a lot of the coding coming through. My idea now is that the data in the QR code should be read and transformed so the delimiter is changed into a tab character.

Next you will have to change the tab order in the properties of the screen:

In the manual supplier invoice entry screen, use RMB to open the properties. Select tab Layout.

Turn on the custom screen layout (1).

Select a field (2) and use the down arrow (3) to change the tab order.

In this example if the cursor is in field Vou No Ref a tab will position the cursor in the Receipt Ref field. Another tab will push the cursor back a field (at least on the screen) to the PO Ref.

There is some testing to do here and this is in Enterprise Explorer.

There are some settings in Aurena that can change the tab order as well (for what I can remember from presentations), but I've not looked into that yet.

Hope this gives a hint to a or the solution.

Steve

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Interesting stuff. I found: https://www.paymentstandards.ch/dam/downloads/ig-qr-bill-de.pdf of which you know already.

Found on page 38 that the delimiter CR + LF is. For any scanner these are two characters ASCII 13 + 10.

With my idea, you surely have to request the supplier of the scanner if automatic translation is possible. 

Maybe another idea is via: https://www.moneytoday.ch/news/qr-rechnungen-scannen-mit-dem-smartphone/

The QR-Rechnung Scanner (on iOS) seems a solution to use a normal GSM phone. In combination with what is mentioned on https://qrzahlteil.ch/ I think that you could scan it to for example Excel, run a macro that will transform the data to input for IFS (input via external supplier invoices). 

Let us know what you see as a solution which doesn't take too much time and still works efficiently.

Regards,

Steve

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks Steve, these are great inputs! I will check with my development team which approach they like most.

Regards Michael

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I found now a ESR and QR scanner (Crealogix PayEye) which comes with a software which has some kind of predefined integration for IFS. This can be found in the configuration file:

[IFS World]
PunktBetrag
String:=;
ReferenzNr
String:=;
TeilnehmerNr
Tab

Any idea how we can use this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

We’ve produced reports from IFS with QR codes on them containing embedded datasets. Scanning invoices would require an interface such as Novacura Flow to pick up the required data and then map it to a process to get it into IFS.

Pretty straight forward.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

We implemented this now based on simple character inputs from the scanner. 

The proper input field on the screen must be selected first, after that by scanning the qr code the values obtained from the code are inserted into the first and further input fields using a specific number of “tab” inputs to go to the right input fields.