Question

Migrating Transactional Data to IFS from a Legacy System

• 22 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

What is the approach to be followed when migrating transactional data to IFS from a Legacy System?

When migrating these data should those posted in IFS to create GL vouchers that will ultimately calculate the GL Balances as at Cut-Over date.

Or just migrate GL Balances separately and transactional data without posting to GL

For example, the customer need to have last 3 years(2018-2020) Invoices in IFS when Implementing IFS. Can we migrate invoices just in PaidPosted state without posting them? What will be impact to Analysis windows?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi,

Normally you should migrate all subledger open items (not fully paid customer and supplier invoices) but without detailed revenue/cost information (I have always been using external customer and external supplier invoices with dummy balancing account for costs and revenues impact). Do not forget about VAT due at payment (VAT due at invoice entry can be ignored from opening balances point of view). In case of partially paid open items best ide is I think to load full invoice amount through external invoice and external payment for paid part. In general, purpose of the invoices migration is to initialize tax ledger and General ledger balances as well as create future customer and supplier payments. Please note that such migration has nothing to do with sales contracts or customer/supplier orders.

Paid invoices are not part of GL open balances, so you can load them and pay them, but my question is, what is intended use of them? Answer to this question implies level of details needed for migrated invoices. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Adam,

Thanks.

Yes, I know that normally only the open balances are migrated.

The customer wants the transactional data mainly Analysis and Reporting purposes. But I know it is not a recommended approach.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Lahiru, 

again - level of details is crucial. E.g. in case of customer invoices - what do you want to analyze?  Revenues by type? Part? Payment history? Billed amount by customer? Scope of reports implies scope of migration. 

I think you can book migrated items and then reverse this impact in GL by Q voucher.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi,

I think you can create separate account for migration balance. I think you can migrate the paid/Posted invoices but again you will have to specify the account where it is going to deposit. In this way you can separate that balance from the new transaction.