Solved

How can i write off a customer over payment

• 22 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

We have multiple 1p over payments that we would like to write off.

Normally we refund overpayments, but the admin is just too much. Would I use the customer offset screen?

Also I can write off invoices as a whole, but not part payments.

Am using the customer offset screen - any tips?

icon

Best answer by Eranda 25 July 2020, 09:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi BLLBrucemo,

If there is a over payment you can use a difference item  option and settle the amount same time you make the payment. It can be done in many windows such as Customer check, Mixed payment, Customer payment.

However, if it is a automatic payment where you can make any changes as above, once the payments are created  you can use the mixed payment window and set off all the CUPOAs at once using one Difference Item.

If you are planning to use customer offset window for this then you will need to use some debit invoice to set off against.

Hope this helps.

Shehan Almeida.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi BLLBrucemo,

You can enable write-off for partial payment in company level and write-off the over-payment part. Creating a new difference item is also an option, but it creates an open item in your sub ledger against your customer. All the over-payments can be later offset against a new invoice.

Best Regards

Eranda

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi BLLBrucemo,

@Eranda is correct. using difference item will not work as it creates a new open item. As he suggests can write-off the over payment amount as a negative write off.

Best Regards,

Shehan Almeida.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi Shehan

I came across this post from a year ago to which you contributed especially in regards to customer overpayments.

If there is a over payment you can use a difference item  option and settle the amount same time you make the payment. It can be done in many windows such as Customer check, Mixed payment, Customer payment.

Our requirement is that we would like to implement a process/solution to move overpayments to a subledger account and clear these payments out at a later/future date.

Would what you’ve suggested (above) work for our situation and if so are there particular Posting Controls that we would have to setup to achieve this?

I thought about such Posting Controls as IP21 Customer Claims, Difference Item and PP8 Customer Claims, Pre- Payment but most probably I’m way off base with these thoughts.

Any comments that you might have would be appreciated.

Thank you.