Question

Creating a Tax Account

• 4 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi,

I’m trying to tick the ‘Tax Account’ box in Accounting Rules > Code String > Accounts but I’m getting the following error:

“You cannot modify or delete if the account is used in the wait table or in the general ledger”

Does this mean that as some values have been posted to this account for our opening balances, that this now cannot be made to a tax code?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Tipperc ,

This means there are some transactions (vouchers) connected to the specific account are waiting in voucher entry window. You need to update those transactions to general ledger. Then you can modify this account. You can use update GL vouchers window for this.

Kind Regards,

Kalpa.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi,

From what I can see all vouchers are updated to the GL.

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Tipperc ,

I have done a knowledge search in this area and found this explanation was given by product development team for a previous version of the APP. 

It is not acceptable to change an account which was used for normal transactions into
a tax account. When an account is defined to be a tax account, transactions entered on this account
will be transferred to the Tax Ledger during updating to the general ledger. When you check "Tax Account" check box it automatically checks the Ledger account option to avoid manual transactions into tax accounts. But if you are trying to change an account with previous transactions, into a tax account, the above mentioned purpose would be lost and also the control over the tax account would be reduced. Further, if an account is changed to become a tax account halfway through, there would be problems in reconciliation of tax ledger and general ledger due to mismatch transactions. Due to above reasons, it is not allowed to change a normal account with transactions into a tax account.

I hope this will be helpful.

Kind Regards,

Kalpa.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Typically, for North America we would check the box for tax account, but uncheck the box for ledger account so that we can make manual journal entries. The ledger flag can only be changed before an account is used, so we (i NA) uncheck the box before saving the record.  

Typically NA clients are not using tax ledger to the fullest extent, a journal entry (voucher) is used to clear the balance and pay the tax agency.  

If outside NA, the IFS functionality to clear the tax would be the suggested process (in my opinion). 

NA is a bit different as we have many states / providence each with different tax agencies and regulations. It’s easier to pay tax via supplier invoice and clear the tax via that process. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Thomas Peterson  - I’m having a similar issue. We created a new tax account and the ledge account box was accidentally checked and now we have transactions against that account. We get an error if we try to uncheck the box. I’ve tried using the dates to phase out the account with it’s current settings and then add the account again with the ledge box unchecked and I get a duplicate error.

Is there any way to resolve this without setting up a new account?

We’re on IFS10 UPD10

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Sara, 

Sorry but as a user, you cannot uncheck the box after an account has been used.  If you send me an email outside the forum, I may be able to offer suggestions.  I don’t ant to make a suggestion in a forum like this, that could be detrimental if if not followed precisely. 

If you need my email address, I believe people in your Finance department can provide this.  If not reach out again and I’ll find a way  we can offer a suggestion. 

Best regards, 

Thomas