Question

Business Planning Opening Balance

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 1 reply

Hi,

Do you know how the opening balance can be created in the Businsee Plan? We get the below error :

Thank you.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It appears you are trying to start June as your planning month but the planning year starts with January.   Are you on a June to May calendar in lieu of a January to December?

Best-

Christy

Badge +3

Dear Christy,

Reporting period = jan to dec

what we aim to do is to create  a forecast for 2022 and then continue with 2023 budget.

I tried to perform the same action on a regular year 2023-00 to 2023-12, but this is still not working best regards. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Are all of your periods set to planning?

Badge +3

Dear Christy,

I set the first period as Opening Balance:

(I recreated an other exemple where I am staring from 2023-00.)

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Have you tried the ‘calculate opening balances’ in the header?

Badge +3

Hello yes we have, and the following error messages pops up

please note that for this exemple, The list of year is empty.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You need to define a ‘from’ year that has valid data as well as a ‘to’ year (in this case, 2023).   

You may consider manual input of the beginning balances if they are actually needed.   Do you want the actual reported balance sheet balances to reflect in your plan?

Badge +3

You may consider manual input of the beginning balances if they are actually needed 

→ Yes I have tried an other exemple by importing the Opening Balances this is working. However I whish to try do create opening balances the IFS designed it.

Do you want the actual reported balance sheet balances to reflect in your plan?

→ Yes I would like so. However the Budget exercise will start in Jully, I will then have a GL balance for June ready. If I want to exercise, shall I create an opening Balance 2022-04 where I am sure to have some data in GL?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

From F1 help, there are defined options (whether imported or calculated):

Other Transaction Sources

In addition to the transactions sources originating from within the business planning component, there are other sources that can be used to import/transfer planning transactions.

• Import of Balances (opening balances) from either General Ledger or Internal Ledger. All period balances or accumulated balances are imported according to the planning dimension settings of the planning unit and to the combination rules of the user group of the user performing the import. The action is performed from the balance section of the planning tab.
  • Existing Revenue Recognition Forecasts and Depreciation Plans can be transferred to planning units using right mouse options in respective window. The revenue recognition transfer also includes optional capitalization of planned project cost and revenues.
  • An External File type has been prepared to use for imports from other external sources.

I hope this is helpful.