bounced ap payment how to procrss

• 20 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

We received a payment to our bank( nobody knew what it was so it processed to other income) we now realised it was a bounced payment from our supplier as they failed to notify about new bank details, how can I fix it ? I need to remove the amount from income but not sure where to post it and how to unmatch payment so I can pay invoices again … please help 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

You should be able to do what we call a rollback.  A rollback in this case would reverse the payment leaving the invoices as unpaid.  

IFS has two flavors of a payment rollback.   In some cases you can choose between the two flavors of rollback , and other times you only have one option. 

A complete roll back or rollback complete would reverse an entire payment.  For example we paid 5 suppliers and 50 invoices.   All 5 suppliers and 50 invoices would be rolled back.  A complete rollback also rolls back cash.  

A partial rollback is a selective rollback. With the same example above, we can rollback payment of one record leaving all others as paid.  It must be known that a partial rollback “assumes” the cash was unaffected. This may / may not be reality but it’s how iFS works. In your case the cash will be moved to a concept where the cash is moved to the company (think of this as a payment on account).  You need to manage that. Options exist, One common way would be to create a mixed payment supplier payment line for X amount  connecting this to the company cash (payment on account) and have a new line in the mixed payment as a direct cash transaction going the opposite amount posting to your GL account needing to be corrected. 

Then repay the supplier - as the invoice(s) will  be unpaid due to the rollback.  

Rollbacks are great - but the most common user issue is failure to remember to manage the cash on a partial rollback. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you Thomas, I understand the roll back now, how do I create the mixed payment? If we received £300, in the bank, posted to credit income account, but now I have to take out this £ 300 from income, do I create mixed payment for £ 300( enter supplier payment ) choose the cpoa( from the roll back) but how do I clear the income account? Is cpoa a debit entry in a accounts payable ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

No problems. 

See the below for a very “quick and dirty” example. This is just a sample I did very quickly.   

Then see the direct cash - That can move the accounting.  I do this in the mixed pay to keep everything together. 

In same cases, you really don’t want any “cash effect” so the direct cash would be for 100 but your example we really want cash to be reduced so the supplier payment will put the cash back into the account. 

Hope this helps. 

Best regards, 

Thomas

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That is beautiful, thank you so much, I get that ( it won’t affect my bank rec)