Solved

XML returns "Empty path name is not legal"

• 18 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi experts,

This customer is getting an error “Empty path name is not legal” when they run the following XML after upgrading from UPD14 to UPD22. This error only occurs in the On-premise env, and the cloud env works fine. 

This issue occurs for both custom & baseline reports.

The app params are set as follows:

Have I missed anything? 

icon

Best answer by roklde 19 May 2023, 12:08

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @buddhima ,

Looks like you might need to check the code customization for this particular implementation as this might not be something that is coming from the baseline. Would it be possible to build the code and debug this particular issue on the server side?

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Buddhima,

are you able to fetch any of the reports through normal UI screen instead of MPM?

Further, did you set the REPORT_GENERATION_TEMP_FILE_PATH app param to that value? Usually it’s empty and only need to be set in a on-premise environment including several Servers (with load balancing). Try to remove it and refresh cache and try again.

You could also try to enable further logging in the Server log to get more details on the actual issue.

Best regards
Roman​​​​​​​

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @SAMLK,

Thanks for the reply :)

I am unable to debug this since the on-premise installation of the customer is not public IP facing enabled. The only way is to go through the code by referring to the server logs.

Looking at the stack trace, there is a custom method which throws the above error:

that takes in a parameter “attachmentPath”. This value is being set through the CreateSSRSReportPDF method. 

Perhaps the error occurs because the CreateSSRSReportPDF method returns an empty string value?

Thanks & regards,

Buddhima.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @roklde,

Thanks for the reply!

Fetching the reports from the UI doesn’t work either. The REPORT_GENERATION_TEMP_FILE_PATH app param value is set as this is an on-premise environment. 

I got the server logs from customer and it looks like the path is not being set as mentioned above. 

Thanks & regards,

Buddhima.

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi @roklde,

Thanks for the reply!

Fetching the reports from the UI doesn’t work either. The REPORT_GENERATION_TEMP_FILE_PATH app param value is set as this is an on-premise environment. 

I got the server logs from customer and it looks like the path is not being set as mentioned above. 

Thanks & regards,

Buddhima.

Hi Buddhima,

I think you only need to set it when using more than one App Server and it should be a network path instead a URL as seen in your screenshot but I’m not sure if this is related to your issue here.

If this custom method is calling something related to SSRS then I believe they are using server-side Reports through MS Reporting Services. What’s the value of ENABLE_CLIENT_REPORTS, if it’s N then I expect that REPORT_SERVER_URI_SSRS is correctly set?

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @roklde,

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks & regards,

Buddhima.

Hi Buddhima,

I think you only need to set it when using more than one App Server and it should be a network path instead a URL as seen in your screenshot but I’m not sure if this is related to your issue here.

If this custom method is calling something related to SSRS then I believe they are using server-side Reports through MS Reporting Services. What’s the value of ENABLE_CLIENT_REPORTS, if it’s N then I expect that REPORT_SERVER_URI_SSRS is correctly set?

Best regards
Roman

Hi Roman,

ENABLE_CLIENT_REPORTS is set to Y and REPORT_SERVER_URI_SSRS is http://YourReportServer/YourReportServerVirtualDirectory/Pages/ReportViewer.aspx?%2fYourParentFolder/ which is not a valid path. Should this path be updated to a valid one?

Thanks and regards,

Buddhima

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Buddhima,

no need to change the path in REPORT_SERVER_URI_SSRS as it’s a dummy value and will not be used when ENABLE_CLIENT_REPORTS is set to “Y”. 

You wrote that they use a custom method. Did you try to disable that and use the baseline methode instead?

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @roklde,

I asked the customer to remove the value in REPORT_GENERATION_TEMP_FILE_PATH app param. This resolved the issue. Turns out the issue was with this app param being set.

Thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Buddhima.