Solved

Updating FSM Shortcut Images XML

• 18 July 2022
  • 8 replies

In FSM Release: 6 Update 17 there is a “generic” image (328?) shown (icon_path is empty, so assuming this is some default image) on the Shortcut menu for several items such as codes, app params, etc. I want to change these to different images in the Image Library. Too many of the same generic image in the Shortcut bar!

I went into My Settings, Shortcut_Toolbar/SavedShortCuts, double-clicked the Value field to display all of the XML, and changed the empty images there to image numbers I want to use. I then clicked SAVE, refreshed, refreshed cache, logged out, and logged back in. Unfortunately the XML reverts to the prior XML before my changes were made. I’ve tried to trace whatever is stopping my XML changes from “sticking” but haven’t found the culprit yet. Any thoughts? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Saranga Amaraweera 26 August 2022, 06:01

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @InADaysWork,

When you say you changed the empty images, what specifically did you change and how? Did you amend both the image ID and the image name?

Kind regards,

Lee Pinchbeck

Hi, Lee

Here is an example from the original XML, with the FSM-supplied icon path number and icon name (this one for the Import/Export Map shortcut):

<function_def>
    <function_id>CUSTIMPORTEXPORTMAP</function_id>
    <label_value>Import/Export Map</label_value>
    <label_message_id>CustImportExportMap</label_message_id>
    <description>Import Export Map</description>
    <function_type>SCREEN</function_type>
    <icon_path>478</icon_path>
    <icon_name>solutions-map</icon_name>
    <display_only>N</display_only>
    <no_delete>N</no_delete>
    <assembly_name/>
    <namespace_class_name/>
    <method_name/>
    <shortcut_key/>
    <shortcut_mod1/>
    <shortcut_mod2/>
    <shortcut_mod3/>
    <url/>
</function_def> 

TO TEST:

I changed the icon path number in the above XML to 421, saved, refreshed, logged out of FSM and back in. Shortcut XML reverted to FSM original XML.

I tried changing the icon path number and gave it a new icon_name, didn’t work, reverted.

I tried changing the icon path number and using the actual image description for the icon_name from the Image Library, didn’t work, reverted.

I tried adding an icon/name → number/name-description to an empty function_def icon_name/icon_path pair that FSM therefore uses the default image, that didn’t work either, reverted.

If there is something simple that I’m missing in this process, I appreciate any guidance you might provide. It seems that FSM is very fond of the default image for its shortcuts and doesn’t want me messing with it!

Badge +1

I don’t see a way to change icons on baseline screens like App Params or Import/Export, but if you have made a custom screen,  you can give it a different icon path using the Custom Functions screen. If a user then drags the menu item over to their personal shortcuts bar, the same new icon is preserved there.

Thanks, JamesB, for the thoughts. My idea was since I can see the XML for shortcuts, and can also edit in XML which icons are being used, it would be a simple matter. Unfortunately the image changes don’t apparently save when the XML is saved this way. It’s just frustrating to use the shortcut menu and have so many of the same icons showing for FSM baseline functions. There are many icons to choose from  in the Images file, and using ‘unique’ ones would make the shortcut menu have a more relevant visual impact. Perhaps someone ‘in power’ at IFS will see this post and consider changing some icon images around on an update to use more individual images vs. repeating a default image over and over in shortcuts for baseline?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@InADaysWork ,

Are you referring to the icons displayed on the webclient menu? Unfortunately it is not possible to change the icons displayed on the webclient menu specially for the custom screens as all the custom screens display a common file icon. We have already raised this concern as a bug to R&D and however this will be fixed in the upcoming release U20.

Again regarding the baseline icons displayed on the smart client menu can be overridden with custom functions.

You need to find out the exact baseline function for the particular screen. In this example, let’s try to change the icon for the global code table screen.

In order to change the baseline icons firstly you need to find the exact function id from the metrix_function_def table. In this example, I’m going to change the icon for the global code table as mentioned above. 

Then openup the custom functions screen from the smart client. Add a new function with the same exact function id for the global code table (GLOBALCODETABLE). Then add the preferred icon id of the image library. Save the function and refresh full cache. Then you will need to relogin to FSM.

Once you’re logged in it should ideally display the given icon on the smart client. Please note that, this does not work for the webclient as it is identified as a bug.

Once you set the shortcut, it will be displayed as below. Hope this helps

Thank you Saranga Amaraweera for that detailed direction and suggestion. This is Smart client not Web, so good there. Your solution does work for the Menu item icon, however it doesn’t show up as such in the shortcut display automatically. I found that if I removed the original default icon in the shortcut menu after doing the custom function and logging out/in, and then re-added the link, the new icon appeared on the shortcut menu.

I’m looking for a way to change just the shortcut icons because that’s what I look at quickly to get to the functions I use most often. Unfortunately the default icon is displayed for many shortcuts. I had hoped for a way to edit the XML for the shortcuts to choose different icons (which XML I was able to locate and edit, as per my earlier comment) but even after saving the shortcut XML reverts to its original state. As shortcuts are personal to the logged in user, it would be great if we could customize the icons to make the shortcut menu a better visual tool.  Again, my thanks for your time and input!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi @InADaysWork ,

You should firstly remove your old reference shortcut from the shortcut menu and then re-add the new one. (right click on the short cut and then click on remove button). The reason for this is, even though you have changed the icons, still it refers the old icon path in shortcut menu. Please remove the old one and add it again to the menu. Also a full cache refresh is required and if this still happens, please refresh the IIS pool cache (application pool). Anyhow I’d prefer all the shortcuts removed from your menu and then adding those back after the icons are changed.

Thank you Saranga Amaraweera - good advice. I will go about deleting all of my current shortcuts and link them back again with the new menu images. It would be great if in a future update to FSM the ability to save image changes to the Shortcut XML could be managed, as that would be a much easier way to assign new shortcut images to FSM defaults. However your work around does the trick for now. Again, my thanks for your time and advice.