Solved

Request Management Vs Work Orders

• 12 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi All,

Since working with APPS10 I have always worked with ‘Work Orders’, ‘Service Contracts’, ‘Work Task Templates’ and ‘Service Quotations’.

But currenlty I’m now learning more about the ‘Request Management’ section using ‘Requests’, ‘Request Contracts’, ‘Standard Tasks’/’Service Catalog’ and ‘Request Quotations’. 

And allthough there are some differences in approach to both, there are also a lot of similarities. So I am beginning to wonder about the reason why both functionalities exist next to each other. So could anybody try to explain a few things for me:

• What is the biggest functional difference between “Request management” functionality and “Work Order” functionality?
  • What are decisive factors to use on or the other?
  • Would there be any use-cases where a business would use both next to each other?
  • What is on the roadmap for these 2 modules.

I have read the ‘About’ pages on the IFS Help but that doesn’t give me much additional info on the different use cases for both scenarios. For example on section 4. Customer Relationship Management you have Service Quotation (4.16) and Request Management (4.17) next to each other - so when would you use one or the other?

Best Regards

Roel Timmermans

icon

Best answer by Alexander Heinze 12 March 2024, 12:26

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

There is a chapter in IFS Cloud - Scheduling demystified (23R2) | IFS Community that explains some of the differences.

The main difference is that Work Order management had the asset in focus, for NGSM it’s servicing the customer. Asset service rarely needs PSO, that’s why NGSM brings better support for comprehensive PSO features such as skills or availabilities. Work Orders heavily rely on other modules (such as HCM), while NGSM  was also designed for scenarios where an ERP was already in place and IFS Cloud’s main mission is the work scheduling and execution. In such cases Work Orders bring a lot of overhead (data model and UI), Requests in general are lighter (not in a negative sense, but rather purpose-built for customer service). And even if you start with NGSM, you can still “switch on” other modules later when needed (like supply chain).