Question

Package Deployment Questions

• 7 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +5

We have a couple of questions regarding package deployments of certain types of elements:

• How to deploy notification messages, distribution lists, and substitutions?
  • Why cant we deploy notification messages, distribution lists, and substitutions?
  • Global Codes - pulling in one status versus the entire global code table?

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @GDFMNICHOLS,

We perform this via Import/Export functionality which we import an excel file to FSM smart client. (the excel file can be an exported from the FSM which has all these data, or you can prepare it by yourself adding the required columns and the data rows)

Badge +5

Unless I am missing something, I am looking at my package extract settings right now and for sure you can not put DISTR_LIST, NOTIFICATION_MESSAGE or substitution maps into a package deploy.

You can put DISTR_LIST_MEMBER and WILD_CARD_MBR_REL into deploys, but those are sub sections of the above items.

This means we have to write down to manually deploy in all environments which creates a huge room for error, as we have experienced in the past and have had production bugs from it.

For Global Codes, let's take DISTR_LIST for example. You can deploy the whole table or nothing. We have multiple engineers doing different things. The only way for this to be viable is to compare to production. If the only global code to be added is missing from production, then we can deploy. Often, this is not the case. What I am asking is why can't I deploy just one DISTR_LIST_MEMBER instead of the whole list?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Its not on package deployment screen, a different screen called Import/Export in the File section. Image below,

I attached a sample excel file, which we use to deliver such configurations that we cannot do via package deployment. Also this helps us to only deliver the required change, rather than the whole table. in your case you want to only deliver one item on the distribution.  

Badge +5

This would actually add a step instead of just manually deploying since I would still have to copy and paste all the fields. This solution would just require the extra step of importing it on all those tables. I was hoping for a solution where I could include it into a deploy package to deploy with all other requirements into our production environment to reduce human error and extra deploy time.

I have tried to use a SQL change to put them into a package (which they show in there in the interface), but it wipes everything and just leaves what is in the current package.

May I ask why these items are not able to be added to a deploy package, especially when you can put the child records into one?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Please see Idea item created by GDFMNICHOLS