Solved

FSM6U25 upgrade - DMZ server need help/advice

• 13 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I am hoping someone can answer a few questions we are having with regards upgrading our current on premise FSM environment to release FSM6U25.

IFS Support tells us to go to IFS Consultancy who immediately price up a SOW just to look at envionment or else to ask questions here.

Initial installed was by IFS consultants.

Just trying to initially upgrade DEV envionment.

Our Webclient/Mobile clients are run off a DMZ App server and our App server behind firewall is running smartclient and is on same subnet as DB server.

DMZ App server has following virtual directories.

FSMServer, FSMDEV, FSMDEV_MOBILE, FSMDEV_WEBCLIENT, FSMTEST….

The options on the upgrade screen are FSM Database , FSM Application Server Web/Smart clients  and FSM Mobile Service.

After selecting FSMServer and c:\intepub\wwwroot\FSMServer, upgrade DEV envionment

It then asks to connnect to SQL DB server and FSMDEV db.

As far as I know there were no ports open for named pipes between DMZ and backend DB server, but yet it was instaleld by IFS.

Only port open was 443 as far as I know.

Do we need to open ports for named pipes traffic to DB server ?

We tried to upgrade App server that is on same subnet as DB server.

App server has following virtual directories.

FSMServer, FSMDEV, FSMDEV_MOBILE, FSMTEST…

The options on the upgrade screen are FSM Database , FSM Application Server Web/Smart clients  and FSM Mobile Service.

Just selected FSM Application Server Web/Smart clients upgrade.

After you put in Protocol, FSM Server Name , port, etc and hit next you get the screen with Virtual Directory and all the URL paths.

Do you always select FSMServer as the Virtual Directory name rather than option of say FSMDEV?

Now there are lots of url paths put on screen, but these do not exist or match what is on this server.

Is the upgrade smart enough to just upgrade Smartclient and ignroe the rest?

Any real help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated as the PDF install is not great at discussin non standard installs.

And IFS Support are o no help.

Thansk in advance,

Jerry

icon

Best answer by OXCJMOXYCARE 14 February 2024, 19:54

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Jerry,

Mobile and Web client in your DMZ shouldn’t need direct DB connections as they communicate with the Application Server, which then forwards the requests to the DB.

Further, I assume that you might have a left over install named “FSMServer”, which is the default name choosen by the Installer upon installing the App Servers. Just browse to the wwwroot folder of IIS and check the contents of “FSMServer” and “FSMDEV” directories or check which URLs you are using as they include the virtual directory path to indicate the Application Pool to choose in the Installer.

Lastly, I strongly advise to raise a consultancy request if you haven’t perform any Update so far. A consultant will be able to go through the complete process together with you and can make sure to take any specificas from your install into consideration.

Best regards
Roman

Badge +1

Hi Roman,

firstly thnak you for your very prompt response.

IFS Support had said to ask quesiton here and to log service request for consultancy.

I know we were told we just needed to open port 443 for traffic bnetween App DMZ server and baackend APP server and DB server.

But the second screen of the Upgrade utility looks for DB infomation and this comes back with named pipes error and the upgrade fials on next screen.

As for App DMZ server, on the Upgrade utility FSMServer is the only option in the Virtual Directory Name dropdown.

You can select anything in the Physwical Directory Name text box.

Are you saying we should only use the Virtual Directory Names that are included in the webclient and mobile client urls rather than select FSMServer ?

Does the Developnment, Test and Production checkboxes at the bottom of the screen have any bearing on virtual directories to be selected ?

Once again thank you.

Regards,

Jerry

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

First, run the DB Upgrade either from the Application Server (requires SSMS or sqlcmd + PS7 to be installed on the VM) or directly from the DB Server. Afterwards run the Update on the App Servers and then Mobile. For Web Client DMZ Install you have to choose the option “Web client portals”. See also this note in the Install Guide:

...and in the OIDC Implementation Guide:

If you don’t see the option “Web Client Portals” most likely the install package doesn’t include the file “FSM.WebClient.Portals.zip” and you have to request it via Support or rename the “FSM.WebClient.zip” to “FSM.WebClient.Portals.zip”. Note that the Smart/Web Client option will install the Web client also in the App Server if the package isn’t renamed as stated before or removed from the installer.

As I’m not aware of your environment setup and Application Pool / Virtual Directory naming I can’t give an advise on the exact parameters to set in the Installer.

The options Development, Test and Production are for the Smart Client. Depending on your selection a virtual path will be created as /client, /clienttest or /clientdev - however, the installed smart client is the same it’s just the active virtual paths.

Best regards
Roman

Badge +1

Hi Roman,

thanks again.

Yeah we did come across the issue with runnign DB update from App server so ran it directly on SQL server.

That worked.

I will try the install again on App DMZ server and see if I can work it.

Just noticed MOBILE appears on both App DMZ server and backend App server.

That is going to make mobile update interesting.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Jerry,

if you don’t use the Mobile Service that is on the backend App Servers you should remove it.

Best regards
Roman

Badge +1

Hi Roman,

on the DMZ app server

did the rename of “FSM.WebClient.zip” to “FSM.WebClient.Portals.zip” and then Web Portal appears on upgrade.

Would not have thought of that.

Had seen the portal option in PDF but not on my screens.

Under wwwroot FSMServer, FSMDEV, FSMTEST are blank, but files under FSMDEV_CUSTOMERPORTAL,  FSMDEV_MOBILE,  FSMDEV_WEBLCIENT, FSMTEST_CUSTOMERPORTAL,  FSMTEST_MOBILE,  FSMTEST_WEBLCIENT

When carrying Web Portal upgrades do we just work through the list?

Do we also upgrade the FSMDEV_MOBILE, FSMTEST_MOBILE using the FSM Mobile Service option for upgrade, because when you select that option the default in the virtual directory dropdown is IFSMobileService which doesn’t exist?

On the backend App server.

Under wwwroot FSMServer is blank, but files under FSMDEV, FSMTEST, FSMDEV_MOBILE

Have no idea how we remove FSMDEV_MOBILE off this server ?

If we go through upgrade and select FSM Application Server & Web/Smart Clients option does it try install web clients on this server even though not on it at the moment ?

Can we edit the install files so that it only tries to install the Smart client?

Sorry for all the questions, but in the last day you have been more help to us than anyone else in IFS over the last couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Badge +1

Hi Roman,

sorry for bugging you on this, but if you could give me any input on the last questions I asked specifically about if the Upgrade installs or doesn’t install webclients on App server that hasn’t got any currently installed?

Can we edit install file zips and remove option to install Webclients and only have SmartClient install ?

Thanks again,

Jerry

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Roman,

sorry for bugging you on this, but if you could give me any input on the last questions I asked specifically about if the Upgrade installs or doesn’t install webclients on App server that hasn’t got any currently installed?

Can we edit install file zips and remove option to install Webclients and only have SmartClient install ?

Thanks again,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

as said earlier, the web client will always be installed automatically alongside Smart Clients as long as the zipfile is available in the root install folder. You have to either rename it to something different or remove it so the installer doesn’t pick it up.

Best regards
Roman