Solved

FSM test DB refresh

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

I am trying to refresh the test DB with up to date data  (SQL) with the a backup of the PROD DB, however when I restore the DB (either full or files and folders), and then try to connect with the client app it says it cannot find the DB.

I am sure it is possible but I must be missing something simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Anjula Priyanath 9 August 2022, 14:00

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @IGMIGMIMXMD,

After restoring the database, did you rerun the installer/ reconfigure the web.config file? Or else, did you create the correct Database users? or anything else?

Did you get the ‘Database not available’ error on the login screen?

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @IGMIGMIMXMD,

After restoring the database, did you rerun the installer/ reconfigure the web.config file? Or else, did you create the correct Database users? or anything else?

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't re-run the installer so just tried it but I still get an error on the logon screen  “database not available”.

I haven't created any users etc., just backed up the “PROD” database ad restored it to the “TEST” database.

Also I can see the web.config file but have no idea what I would need to change in it. The database file path/name is still the same.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @IGMIGMIMXMD,

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't re-run the installer so just tried it but I still get an error on the logon screen  “database not available”.

I haven't created any users etc., just backed up the “PROD” database ad restored it to the “TEST” database

Hi,

Were you able to re-run the installer successfully? Did you try the database login on installer?

If so, please try to stop/ start(or recycle) the IIS.

Otherwise, use ‘iisreset’ command in command prompt.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @IGMIGMIMXMD,

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I haven't created any users etc., just backed up the “PROD” database ad restored it to the “TEST” database

Hi,

Were you able to re-run the installer successfully? Did you try the database login on installer?

If so, please try to stop/ start(or recycle) the IIS.

Otherwise, use ‘iisreset’ command in command prompt.

Yes I re-ran the installer no problem, and did iisreset on the sever but still get the “Database not available” error on the client.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

When rerunning the installer, most probably it will bypass the database part as you’ve run the same version.

Can you validate the database login available in the web.config? You may find the login info if you search with DatabaseConnectionString key word.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

When rerunning the installer, most probably it will bypass the database part as you’ve run the same version.

Can you validate the database login available in the web.config? You may find the login info if you search with DatabaseConnectionString key word.

Thanks

I have found the string thanks, am I right to assume that because I have restored from the PROD database, I will need to copy the string from the PROD web.conig and replace the one in the test web.config?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

You can do that. But, I'd recommend creating a user similar to the one in your Test web.config in the restored database instead.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

You can do that. But, I'd recommend creating a user similar to the one in your Test web.config in the restored database instead.

Thanks so much for your help, I have now managed to get it working by creating the user as recommend.

You have been a massive help! 

Badge +1

hello, i have a same problem i think. I copied PROD db to TEST db. and i am having error.
There is no database information available in the my IIS web.config file. How can I update database information? Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

hello, i have a same problem i think. I copied PROD db to TEST db. and i am having error.
There is no database information available in the my IIS web.config file. How can I update database information? Thanks.

The fix for me was simply creating the missing user and then updating some of the settings in “App Params”.

I just did a SQL backup of the PRODDB and restored it to the TESTDB, then added the SQL user to the DB and it all worked, I didn't have to change anything in the web.config file or IIS, however I did reset IIS after the DB restore.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @XHN,

You should be able to find the database connection string in web config unless it’s encrypted during the installation.

If you can’t find it, create a new db user as @IGMIGMIMXMD mentioned above, then rerun the FSM installer. You will be asked to set database info(it should be retrieved automatically using web.config info, but change the values such as username, password; correct login in order to have connection to db). 

Badge +1

The fix for me was simply creating the missing user and then updating some of the settings in “App Params”.

I just did a SQL backup of the PRODDB and restored it to the TESTDB, then added the SQL user to the DB and it all worked, I didn't have to change anything in the web.config file or IIS, however I did reset IIS after the DB restore.

thanks for reply. 

Which method did you use to copy the database?

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

thanks for reply. 

Which method did you use to copy the database?

I just did a standard SQL backup of the PRODDB, and then standard SQL restore to the TESTDB.