Question

FSM 6 push notification capability

• 2 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

In FSM 6.25, there are App Params for push notifications, one being PUSH_NOTIFICATION_HUB_PATH.  Does IFS natively provide an Azure Notification Hub service or does our org have to purchase its own separate license/service?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Brian,

if you are a customer of the IFS managed cloud offering, you can request ANH setup via a ticket to IFS support. Otherwise you have to purchase and setup the service on your own.

You can find more information on setting up push messaging in the attached guide.

Best regards
Roman

Badge +1

Thanks @roklde, i have see this document before.  However, as i learn more, Azure Hub doesnt actually create the notifications. It sounds like in order to actually send a push notification out of FSM, we would still need to purchase our own Platform Notification System (like Apple’s APNS) in order to actually create/send Push Notifications.  The Azure Hub just simplifies being able to send the Push Notifications to multiple platforms (like iOS and Android) and manage devices.  Can you confirm my understanding?

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Please refer to the “Notification Hub Settings” section:

“The FSM Mobile for Android, iOS and Windows clients support push notifications. The Notification Hub Settings need to be configured for each device platform you will be using. The specific settings for each platform are provided to you upon request.”

This means our FSM Mobile App already has this capability implemented and you have to request the information required for setting up ANH from our Support.

Best regards
Roman

Badge +1

@roklde , yes i get that the mobile app supports the capability.  I just need to know if a separate PNS is required outside of the FSM Mobile App and the Azure Hub in order to actually create and send the push notifications to the Azure Hub and then ultimately to the user’s devices.  Azure Hub documentation suggests that it is not the actual mechanism that creates the Push Notifications, but simply manages the devices (cross platform) and routing the messages to those devices.  

Badge +1

@TNCBSNYDER 

The FSM Mobile apps installed on mobile devices should be able to receive push notifications from Azure PNH out of the box. While separate Push Notification Services (PNS) exist for each mobile platform, such as APNS, GCM/FCM, and WNS, these are configured within Azure Notification Hub. Therefore, there's no need to set up PNS separately outside of Azure Hub to receive push notifications.

In some cases, when dealing with customized apps created using FSM mobile SDKs, the specific configuration requirements may vary depending on who customized the app. You might need to provide certain details by yourself like the Android API key, iOS push information (including team ID, push key, bundle ID, etc.), and Windows push settings (Package SID, security key) to properly configure Azure Notification Hub.