Question

Configuring Dataset and Division Visibility through Groups

• 14 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hi all!

Is it possible to specify which datasets are visible in a group (in Administration → Organization → Groups)?

Additionally, how can we set the visibility of a group to have access only to one or some divisions within the same dataset?

Please provide you feedback!

Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Eleni,

Using groups → permissions you can control if the members of that group have access to view all datasets or not (via ViewAllDatasets permission). To specify exactly which datasets the users have access to must be done at the user level (Administration → Organization → Users).

Via Object groups you can also restrict access to which data is visible to the workbench users. The following entities can be linked to a group via the Object_Group entity:

Activity

Activity Type

Resource

Resource_Type

So, you can’t restrict data visibility directly by division but you can do it indirectly by associating Resources that belong to a division to a group. If you are using the ARP, this can be done in the Planning workspace->Resources screen.

Thanks,

Tom

Badge +3

Hi @tomgreenwood,

I have added to my user a specific object group (AG_65000894) and I have resource 82 with that same object group. 

When I uncheck the allowed option and leave only the default option for ViewAllReesources permission I am not able to see that resource in the Gantt, even though I am able to see it in Resources menu.

Is this normal behavior?

Also if then I add another resource with another object group (one that is not added to my user) to the Viewable Resources tab, I am able to see this new resource in Gantt and not in resources menu, but I still don't see the first resource in Gantt.

This behavior is not what we were expecting. Do you know if we are missing something?

Do access Groups are applicable in Gantt? 

Thank you in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @tomgreenwood,

I have added to my user a specific object group (AG_65000894) and I have resource 82 with that same object group. 

When I uncheck the allowed option and leave only the default option for ViewAllResources permission I am not able to see that resource in the Gantt, even though I am able to see it in Resources menu.

Is this normal behavior? If I understand correctly that by Resources menu you mean the Resources screen in the planning workspace then yes this is correct.  Because your user is in the same object group as resource 82 you can still see this user in the planning workspace.  As ViewAllResources is off you can only see resources in the Resources screen in the scheduling workspace (the Gantt) that you add in the Viewable Resources tab. If resource 82 is not in this list you will not see them in the Gantt.

Also if then I add another resource with another object group (one that is not added to my user) to the Viewable Resources tab, I am able to see this new resource in Gantt and not in resources menu, but I still don't see the first resource in Gantt.

This makes sense too because you have added the resource id to the list of viewable resources so you can see them in the Gantt (as above this related to resources you can view in the schedule, not the planning workspace).  You can’t see them in the planning workspace because your user doesn’t belong to the same group as the Resource.

The administration guide has a section on restricting access to resources and activities where you can find more information.

Thanks,

Tom