Question

Checking who is consuming FSM Mobile license

• 4 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 14 replies

I was wondering what parameters, should we use in our query that will allow us to extract all the users that are consuming FSM Mobile users. 

Alternative question: is a person that is inactive but still has a Mobile device attached consuming the FSM Mobile license? 

Another question: Is the flag mobile_user (from person table) driving the any logic in determining that the mobile license is consumed by this user? 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Daniel,

I was wondering what parameters, should we use in our query that will allow us to extract all the users that are consuming FSM Mobile users.

you can simply use the “License Administration” view available in the Studio-Menu of the Smart Client to review the current allocated Mobile licenses.

Alternative question: is a person that is inactive but still has a Mobile device attached consuming the FSM Mobile license? 

Setting Person Status to Inactive automatically deletes all Device (person_mobile) records for that user.
It makes sense to delete unused devices (for active users) to avoid mm_message_out-table of stacking up. However, there is also an  MOBILE DEVICE CLEANUP Scheduled Process activated by default that runs daily. This process forces devices to Initialize if they have not synced since the number of days configured in the DEVICE_LAST_SYNC_LIMIT application parameter. Device records are deleted if they have not synced in three times the value in the app param.
You can also keep track of last sync, mobile version, etc. on the Mobile Dashboard Screen in Smart Client.

Another question: Is the flag mobile_user (from person table) driving the any logic in determining that the mobile license is consumed by this user? 

If this flag isn’t set on the person-record than that person can’t activate a mobile device. Thus, no license will be consumed. Remember, that license types of NAMED and/or STUDIO are able to use Mobile as well (besides license type MOBILE of course). So, you could uncheck Mobile User for those license types, if you don’t want them to be able using Mobile.

Best regards
Roman

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks for your response. I know that the newer version added  some extra features that will make license maintenance much easier but our version (6U4) doesn’t have any of those new features. 

My problem is that I am getting close to our Max # of Mobile licenses we are entitled and my query i put together game a higher number than the official License Admin 

In my query I join person table with person_mobile table and I am using the following conditions : 

• person.status=’01’
  • person_mobile.active=’Y’
  • person.mobile_user=’Y’
  • and person.metrix_user_type in (‘Mobile’,’Studio’,’NAMED’)

and the result is 12 higher than what License Administrator is showing. Wondering what I am missing. 

In 6U4 version License Administrator only gives us the # of licenses consumed from the total allocated, without giving you info regarding who is consuming those licenses. 

Regards, 

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Hi Daniel,

sorry, I didn’t knew that you are on an older version. The mentioned enhancements were made with Update 5.

For older releases I have this information for you:

With the delivery of 5.7 Update 3; IFS is pleased to announce mobile licensing has changed. At the request of multiple clients, IFS has moved from a per device licensing scheme to a per user licensing scheme; meaning that a user id with multiple devices for example, laptop, tablet and phone will only consume a single mobile license. With the license scheme prior to 5.7 Update 3 the example would have consumed 3 device licenses.

To determine the number of active mobile devices, the system will count the number of person records with active records in the person_mobile table. The system will count records for all license types. If your user will only access mobile, it is still important to choose a license type of MOBILE but this change allows mobile to be attached to other license types also.

When you go to set an employee to inactive, it is important to understand that the system is counting records as active in person_mobile and delete the associated device attached to the person record in addition to setting the person status to inactive. NOTE IF YOU ONLY SET PERSON STATUS TO INACTIVE, it still counts as a mobile user.

I believe the difference between your query and the license Admin screen is coming because you have User with more than one device. You need to adjust your query to GROUP BY DISTINCT person_id .

Best regards
Roman