Best practices for Server Time zone usage in FSM with cloud server

• 12 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
  • Do Gooder (Employee)
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone,

I am contacting you in order to know what are the best practices in the usage of the server time zone in FSM cloud. Basically we are doing a project for a french customer only working in french people with only french users → simple case : Everyone is configured in CET (UTC+1 or +2 depending on the season).

However we realized that our IFS server in cloud is by default in  UTC which means that in integration related topics we need to make some change to get the right date in inbound and outbound + adapt hours retrieved on specific reports etc… Which is additional work.

Question n°1 : what is the best practice ? Should we change the cloud server time zone from UTC to CET ? Is this even possible ?

We also realized that the hour fields entered in code tables (ex : TIME_BLOCK) or the work calendar exceptions are entered in server time zone ( in this case UTC) and not user time zone which leads to offset between the configuration done  and what is displayed to user’s view in scheduleboard for example.

Question n°2 : Is this normal system behaviour ? If yes, what is the best practice for non-UTC users to configure those values ?

Thank you in advance for your precious feedbacks

icon

Best answer by ruben.maas 15 March 2021, 16:43

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @ALFA ,

Regarding question 1, best practice is that the external system is sending the date times in FSM Server Time Zone. 

Technically an option could be to change the Server TimeZone, but I don’t know if changing the timezone, in which the FSM Cloud app service is running, is supported by the cloud team. I have asked this question to the cloud team and i am waiting on a response. 

Alternatively, we need to convert the date times at FSM Side, but this would require a customization. The customization can be applied generically though. 

Regarding Question 2, Time values which are entered in the FSM smart or web client, should be converted to server time automatically (this is handled on UI level). 

That should also apply to the start and end times recorded in Work Calendar Timeblocks as well as the Calendar Exceptions, so as long as these values are edited in the FSM client there is no specific practice.

Only when you import the Work Calendar Exceptions through standard import, the time values need to be supplied in Server Time. 

Best Regards,

Ruben