Skip to main content
Question

Which repository is my document stored in

• 18 June 2024
  • 8 replies

Is there a way for a sysadmin or docman admin to confirm the repository that is holding the document?

Patrick

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Yes, look at the location_name column in the edm_file_tab table using some SQL query tool. At the end of the day though, they should look into the repository location itself.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello,
I am writing the below on @PIreland’s  behalf as the response ended up in community mailbox:

‘How does a person look at files in database or file share? “ 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@PIreland In the client there is no direct way to see the exact repository document is stored. But if the repositories for document classes has not been changed since the initial setup (Document Management\Basic Data\EDM Basic\Repositories) you can refer there and get an idea, the document of a particular document class is stored in.

But if there are multiple locations per class and changes has been taken place in the initial set up or not sure whether those have been changed, the approach would be to refer the respective View: EDM_FILE_Refs tab

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

> ‘How does a person look at files in database or file share? “ 

Who is the person? What access do they have? What version of IFS do they use? In the database, the file is stored in edm_file_storage_tab, in the file_data column and you can use an SQL query tool to extract the data from there. If it's a share, you need to look at the share.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I’ve found that we have a field on the File Refs tab named LOCATION_NAME.  Isn’t that the same as the Repository ID?

The person would be an admin having all the access that an admin person has.  Let’s say the Db is 23R1 or later.  Not wanting to extract any data, just want to know what repository is being used.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

> I’ve found that we have a field on the File Refs tab named LOCATION_NAME.  Isn’t that the same as the Repository ID?

I don't remember us adding that there. It's in the gray zone of being a good thing to show, and not, since it might "leak" information to the user about where things are stored (they should not know).

I checked now and I don't see that in IFS Cloud or IEE. Perhaps someone did a modification or added a custom field?

The person would be an admin having all the access that an admin person has.  Let’s say the Db is 23R1 or later.  Not wanting to extract any data, just want to know what repository is being used.  

Got it.

It wouldn't hurt having some useful admin screens here, to allow looking at some of this data in more detail. Then again, we can do so many things, but there is so little time... 🙂 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

hi @PIreland 

I hope this reply finds you well.

Use the SQL query edm_file_tab/ edm_file_storage_tab these are the two table which is data stored of DOCMAN. 

Zuhaib
IFS Consultant
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

hi @PIreland 

I hope this reply finds you well.

Use the SQL query edm_file_tab/ edm_file_storage_tab these are the two table which is data stored of DOCMAN. 

Zuhaib
IFS Consultant
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/

EdmFileStorage is only used when a document file is stored in the database. I wrote a post last week here that describes all tables in more detail.