Solved

What Causes Document Types of Both Original and View

• 2 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,

We have a few document revisions that have both a Document Type of “Original” and “View” in the File Refs tab. We notice this immediately after document check in.   In all cases these are PDFs with File Type = Acrobat.  Looking in EDM Basic we have File Type Acrobat set to Document Type = View.  However, we have thousands of document revisions that are PDF’s and 99% after check in only have the document type of “Original”.  We use the same process to check in all documents and do not know why the majority of PDFs check in the original while a select few get both the Original and View.  

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 7 November 2023, 15:09

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @cjones_saab ,

It's actually a bug if, when you check in a PDF (and PDF is set as having Document Type = VIEW), we don't create two records under File Refs. (edm_file_tab). For reasons that I don't know, we always did that and, at some point we stopped, or forgot (Aurena on Apps 10 as I remember it). Now, people has told me that everything works, regardless, and I guess that's fine, but sooner or later something will break, because there will be code assuming to find two records there.

Which version of IFS do you use?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Mathias,

We are using APPS 10 and Aurena.  What we are finding is there are only a few times when a user checks in a document the user gets a “success” message in Aurena but no documents are attached.  However, when I check in the same document in IEE I get both an Original and View in the File Refs tab.  So it seems the PDFs that create both an Original and View are the problems. 

The majority of the time when a user checks in a PDF document in Aurena it is successful and only an “original” is created.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @cjones_saab 

The majority of the time when a user checks in a PDF document in Aurena it is successful and only an “original” is created.

That is the bug I referred to, thanks for verifying. Now, it does not seem to cause any direct harm, from what we have seen, at least not in Aurena. I don’t know/remember how these documents work in IEE.

That the user sometimes get a “success” message but no document is created (or no file checked in/uploaded?) is something I think we cannot sort out here. I suggest you file a support case to get someone help you look at that.