Solved

View attachments capability

• 27 February 2023
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I have exhausted my searching and research into document management and cannot resolve this issue.

I have a user setup that can attach and view their own attachments but not other user’s attachments.

Both users are part of the document class group.  All documents have been approved.

When I assign the user DOCMAN_ADMINISTRATOR, they can view the documents.  I have read the Document Access help page and it did not help.

icon

Best answer by matt.watters 28 February 2023, 20:59

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Are all of the documents they can’t open ones that were attached earlier than when this new user was added to the group?

Pick one of the documents that they can’t access and go to the document revision and add them directly as a user to the access for the document whether read, edit or both.  That should allow them to see that document.

If you can confirm that it is only older documents that are an issue, that points to a problem with the way the person group was setup and the user was added to that group most likely.  In the person group, there is an date associated with the group, if that was set the day the person was added to the group, it might prevent them from seeing documents added before that date.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

I just added a brand new document to the purchase requisition and that person/user still cannot view it.

I do not have person groups set up, adding persons individually.

Probably a document access issue, but for the life of me, I cannot navigate my way through this document management process in IFS.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@TTRACY the setup you show in Doc Class Management on the Persons and Groups tab controls only the Persons that are permitted to create document revisions in class QUOTES. This does not pertain to document access privileges.

Login as TTADMIN and create a document revision in class QUOTES. On the access tab of this document revision, add the Persons listed above with a minimum of View access. Login as TTRACY and TTRACY will be able to view this document.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

If you don’t setup the Person Groups portion of DocMan and connect them to the Document Classes in the way you want to control the documents, I find that the long term management of the whole process will become a nightmare to manage, especially when you get to multiple classes and millions of documents.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Matt:  Is there a way to allow the upload of documents to a document class so everyone that is assigned to that document class can view it?  

We have several people in our procurement team and do not want all of our requisitioners having to go in an add there names to every document for view access...not much value added.

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@TTRACY you need to use the basic, and simple functionality, of a Person Group and a Document Access Template.

1. In the Person Group page create a Group ID ‘REQUISITIONERS’. Add all of your requisitioners to this group.
  2. In the Document Access Template page, find Doc Class ‘QUOTES’.
  3. In the Access Lines table of this Document Access Template, create a row for Group ‘REQUISITONERS’ and select Access Level = View Access.
  4. Login as any user that is permitted to create a document in Doc Class ‘QUOTES’ and create a document revision in this class.

At the Document Revision page, in the Access tab you will see Group ‘REQUISITIONERS’ listed with Access Level = View Access. This happened automatically due to the setup of the Access Template for this Doc Class. Each Person/User in this group will be able to view this document revision and all new document revisions created in this class.

For existing document revisions in this class, at the Access tab you will need to ‘Copy Access Template’ to bring in the access rows from this new template.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Brilliant!  Thank you Matt!  I never would have gotten this on my own.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

If you want to learn more about the various options when setting up the access on documents, have a look at our documentation:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/23r1/CreateAndMaintainDocument/AboutDocumentAccess.htm?StandAlone=true

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/23r1/ProcessModels/Process_Model/SetDocumentAccess.htm?StandAlone=true

In the activity diagram above, make sure to click on the document icons to learn about how to define the access.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Is there a way to mass update access to older documents that did not have the person group assigned to the document class instead of going into each one individually and adding in the access tab?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Not today, no. It sounds like a good idea to add in the Ideas section of IFS Community. How many documents are we talking about here?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

About 1K.  I didn’t think so.  We found out late in the game to use the person groups properly.  I may look at possibly using a migration job.  Also, put it in the ideas section….good idea :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

A migration job can certainly pull this off, and even a temporary custom event with som PL/SQL code.

Good luck!