Question

Urgent request for help: Transfer of files from 9.7 to Cloud

• 21 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We were having an issue moving the file system that contains all the documents (i.e. invoices, contracts, etc.) on 9.7 to Cloud.  Under 9.7, there are about 120 GB of files stored on a drive attached to the apps server:

We need to move the data to another location (e.g. windows server or Azure file system) and attach to Cloud, or temporarily attach the currently used file system on 9.7 (i.e.  \\MLHAPP01-PROD.mlh.local\E$\IFS\DocMGMT\ ) to Cloud.  We’re having 2 issues: 1) attaching a Windows based file system to Cloud through the Linux middle tier.  We’re not having success figuring out the proper configuration.  2) What is the process for updating the meta data in Cloud so that it points at the new location?

These issues need to be resolved ASAP as we’re going live on cloud later this week.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Which version of IFS Cloud will you be running and is it Cloud or Remote ("on premise") deployment?

The documentation should explain how to setup a Shared repo in IFS Cloud, and it only works for Remote.

What did you try and what happened?

Badge +4

The customer is a Remote install and they are IFS Cloud 22R1

As for why we have all the various options (Shared, and File Storage repository types), those were created to see if we could get any option to work.  As of this time, we have not been able to connect with any external resource:  Local windows file server or Azure file storage.  All the entries were various combinations we were trying for both File Storage and Shared.  Based on the combination, sometimes we get an error indicating that a connection could not be made with the server.  Other times it appears that file is uploading (no errors), but nothing gets saved on the remote file system.  When this happens the file gets registered as a text file even though its loaded as a PDF.  Then we can’t read it back.

The password we’re currently using is made up of only letters and number, no special characters, and is 24 characters long.  Our security protocol calls for passwords no shorter than 11.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Due to the containerization, when the setup to external document repositories does not work, it's often hard to troubleshoot what's wrong.

The first question one need to ask is: does the Linux machine have network access to the "file server" over the protocol that is used? If the answer is yes and it still doesn't work, the next question is: is the OData Provider container running in the k8s cluster allowed to communicate over FTP or SMB (for Shared) through LinkerD, which is some sort of "local firewall" (that's not what it is, but I don't have better words) inside each container or in the cluster itself? There are settings in the Yaml file used when the container starts up that controls what ports should be open (I don't know the details here, sorry). Make sure the necessary ports are open/included there as well.

If there is a username and password problem you can find it out, in this way: create a new record in the Document Revision screen. Make sure the Aurena Agent is installed and enabled for even environment you are testing in. Then check in/upload a file from the same screen. If there is a password problem, an error message will tell you so. In fact, in this screen, and with the Aurena Agent enabled, you should get other relevant error messages as well that might help sort out the problem.

As for what passwords to use, have a look at the other post I replied to today, which outlines some suggestions on how to select a password that will work.

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Here is a related post, there might be other here on IFS Community: