Question

Structuring Document Templates

• 18 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 4 replies

hi,

we are in the early days of figuring out how to make the most of Document Management System (DMS) in IFS. For now, we have used local drives/OneDrive/Sharepoint and other applications to store documents, and templates.
I am now on the look for knowledgesharing as for how you have approached the challenge of how and where to archive document templates in IFS (document templates that support our product development process.) Template examples: Project Brief, Project Change Request, Functional Description, Cause & Effect, Requirement Specification, Request for Quotation, and other templates that we use across project team. 
Thx for your time
/Bitten

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@BIS  In IFS Document Management a document with a file checked in can be set as a template. The Document Class, Language and Format are the attributes used to identify the document template to be used when creating new document from template. E.g. For different translations you can use the same doc class + format with different language codes. Same document class could have multiple templates with different formats etc.
For different purpose (Project Brief, Project Change Request, Functional Description,) i suppose you would have different document classes. So for each class you could create a template.

Document Templates can be set up in EDM Basic\Document File Template you can setup a document template for a selected document class.

Templates can be used in;

1. Document Revision page - create document with the doc class + Language + format of the template and click Edit Document - this will download copy of the template file.
  2. Attachment Panel\Documents - Create from template - Here also you need to enter the above 3 attributes. (this is from a certain business object you open the attachment panel, e.g. Document Folder)
  3. Document Management\My Documents\New Document from Template - this will list all templates the user has access to and can select one and proceed.

When the template is no longer required you can remove the record from basic data page

Does this give you some idea to get started?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Here is our documentation on this topic:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/23r2/CreateAndMaintainDocument/ActivitySetDocumentAsTemplate.htm?StandAlone=true

Badge +1

Thank you for your input @diwelk and @Mathias Dahl 👍🏻 very useful.

So, if I understand you correct, for users to find a relevant template, the way to search for the template is to search in the relevant document class identifying available template(s) within the class? Because then step 1 for us will be to identify relevant document classes.

I ask because today the way we use ‘Document Class’ is messy to say the least...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@BIS Yes. But i would suggest that you go through the documentation as well and try this out in a ifs cloud environment to get a good idea :)

Badge +1

Unfortunately - as I understand our IFS application responsible - we run IFS10 and are not planning on implementing IFS Cloud, so I am not able to try it out in a cloud environment ;-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Well, what we explained works the same in Apps 10, more or less 🙂