Question

Retention of records

• 25 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Is it possible to delete a record scanned image (once processed an invoice becomes a record) from the system but maintain the metadata to attest to the fact that the record existed?

This is in relation to retention and disposition and is also a statutory requirement in South Africa in regard to the Protection of Personal Information which states that a record must be destroyed once it has served the purpose that it was collected for. 

Kind Regards

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I'm not sure if this is about IFS Document Management or not, but, in a document revision in IFS, to which a file can be uploaded, you can of course remove the file but keep the document revision, which is the metadata (document number, title, etc.).

Did that answer your question? If not, I think you need to provide more details on what in IFS you are talking about. Screenshots are often useful.

Badge +1

Dear Mathias,

Many thanx for your reply and I think you have answered my query.

My question is that once a document such as an invoice has been processed it becomes a record. In terms of IFS Document Management (I assume this a separate module not just functionality?) all I would like to ascertain is that as a record in South Africa it then falls under a statutory retention period of 7 years. Thus, after 7 years we would like to delete the image but retain the metadata that the record was in existence and that according to our retention rules the image was deleted in accordance with business requirements.

However, if we have a query, we need to prove that the record existed and that the image was disposed of as part of our business practices.

This has become an imperative with the advent of our Protection of Personal Information since July 2022 which forces us to delete personal information after it has served the purpose that it was collected for i.e. a personnel file after resignation.