Question

Records Management functionality

• 23 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Good day,

Does IFS have Records Management capability in respect of retention and disposition?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

That's a too broad question to answer, I think, and open for interpretation. Either a positive or negative answer might mislead you. I suggest you either ask for something more concrete or have a call with an IFS consultant or partner where you can discuss your inquiry in more detail. You may also consult our documentation which can be found on docs.ifs.com.

This is what ChatGPT think, by the way 🙂

Badge +1

Dear Mathias,

Many thanx for your reply.

My question in respect of RM was once an invoice (document) has been paid it then becomes a record of a business transaction.

In South Africa accounting records such as invoices, statements, etc. have a statutory retention period of 7 years. Our laws do not specify what should happen to the record after 7 years but common practice once again in terms of statute is that we destroy (physical & digital) as one cannot keep everything forever.

Thus, in order to accommodate retention (of 7 years) and disposition (deletion of the image only) we require a mechanism to advise when the record has reached the end of its retention period and may be deleted.

I have searched quite a bit thru documentation and websites but am unable to identify any such functionality. IFS only addresses Document Management and at best one is not able to ascertain the level of maturity of the functionality just from IFS documentation.

Thus, my query at a high level as there is a huge difference between document management and records management.

Yours sincerely

Vaughan Spooner

+27828021509

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks!

I think that, with a little manual work and some documented work processes, you should be able to use IFS and Document Management as a help.

A simple approach is to use a quick report that is scheduled to run at a certain interval, that would list documents created (today - 7 x 365) days ago (or were checked in, or modified, or whatever date seems most relevant).

You could even use a custom event for this. It would trigger on document creation or some other action that happens regularly, and check for "old" documents. If there are any hits, an event action could send an e-mail or stream message to some responsible person that will take care of making the document obsolete and, optionally, removing it from the system.

So, if the main requirement is what you described, I think the answer is Yes! 🙂💪🏻