Solved

Preview PDF file on Document Revision screen

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Is there a way to view PDF files without downloading them directly from the Document Revision screen, similar to how it is possible on the attachment panel in other screens? Is this possible with a custom command maybe?

In my case I will have a lot of documents not attached to any objects, I would still like to be able to view the PDF documents without downloading them.

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 20 June 2022, 10:21

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Roel van Zwieten 

Have you tried the “Instant View” option in document revision? But you will require a separate license for that though

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Amila Samarasinghe

My understanding was that this was only available in IEE and not in Aurena and thus IFS Cloud? Am I wrong on this? 

Just to clarify, I am using IFS Cloud 22R1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @Amila Samarasinghe

My understanding was that this was only available in IEE and not in Aurena and thus IFS Cloud? Am I wrong on this? 

Just to clarify, I am using IFS Cloud 22R1.

This is not possible in IFS Cloud. We currently have no replacement for Instant View.

One workaround, which might or might not be practical, is to connect your "free" documents to some document folder that you create for these purposes, then use the "preview" command in the attachment section.

I don't refute that a preview feature would be useful to have in the document revision screens, but can you explain why you think it would be useful? How would it enhance your particular workflow? It's good for us to know how our users want to use the system.

FYI, the file is actually downloaded even if you "preview" it, but no copy is saved to disk, so the same amount of network bandwidth is consumed. If "downloading" is slower, perhaps you should look into installing a quicker PDF viewer?

We do want to make "browsing" documents better, so any details of use cases we can get, the better.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Roel van Zwieten 

Apart from what Mathias has mentioned, you can use Aurena agent as it will omit the download dialog box and directly open the file hence it feels faster using Aurena agent. However the file is still getting downloaded to the disk though. 

Also it seems not possible to have the “preview” option though page configuration. ( I may be wrong as I only had a quick look)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

> Apart from what Mathias has mentioned, you can use Aurena agent as it will omit the download dialog box and directly open the file hence it feels faster using Aurena agent.

The same can also made to happen if you tell your web browser to automatically open PDF files that has been downloaded.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks @Mathias Dahl , I was thinking of a workaround to attach the document as an attachment to the Document Revision, but the document folder is probably a better option.

In my case I am asking for a prospect who has specifically asked for the ability to preview PDF documents. In their case a lot of documents would not be connected to objects but would still be required to be reviewed and approved by multiple people, I think this process would be easier if it is simpler to have a quick look at the document. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks @Mathias Dahl , I was thinking of a workaround to attach the document as an attachment to the Document Revision, but the document folder is probably a better option.

In my case I am asking for a prospect who has specifically asked for the ability to preview PDF documents. In their case a lot of documents would not be connected to objects but would still be required to be reviewed and approved by multiple people, I think this process would be easier if it is simpler to have a quick look at the document. 

I see. It would of course be good to have what they want, but that's not there now.

I think I would not be hard to run a script at regular intervals or do use a custom event to make sure that all documents that are not normally connected to "real" objects, would be automatically connected to some "review document folder".

Good luck!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

By preview in doc folder, do you mean the “View eye” ? Would be nice to have that in list of documents too, these tiles get quite tedious to browse if there are tens of them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Did you know that, once the “preview” is open, you can navigate back and forth the other records using the arrow keys on the keyboard or by clicking on the arrows on the screen using the mouse?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Thank you, this is a neat feature.

Did you know that, once the “preview” is open, you can navigate back and forth the other records using the arrow keys on the keyboard or by clicking on the arrows on the screen using the mouse?

What about excel files? Which document types we can’t preview?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

What about excel files? Which document types we can’t preview?

Although this has been asked for and have been answered here several times, I could not easily find one post to point to, so I just created this one:

https://community.ifs.com/document-management-docman-248/supported-file-extensions-in-the-image-viewer-in-ifs-cloud-aka-preview-feature-used-by-docman-and-media-39262

Hope it helps.