Solved

Object Connection Transformation : can we use a custom field?

• 16 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

when there is no direct mapping, a custom method is the usual way to set up a transformation.

Instead of using a method, can we use a custom field  to set up an Object Connection Transformation when the direct mapping fields are not available in the Target?
the custom filed is not coming up in the LOV of available fields for me.

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 16 August 2021, 14:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I think it would be nice if that works, but I don’t remember now if it does or not (I think I remember people having used it in the past, and got it working).

The key however would be to make the custom field view (…_CFV) the view to use for the LU in question in the Object Connections screen. Change the view there and see if it helps.

If it does not, we could look into supporting it, but we cannot do any promises to change it since there might be “technical stuff” stopping is, or making it very hard.

Let’s try changing that view first though.

Ideally we should automatically use columns from the CFV as I know we do in other places, but it seems we are not (then you should have seen the new columns).

Bear in mind that, should the custom fields/columns be “calculated” (via a Get method for example), then performance might suffer, and we could not do anything about that.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

It works!, thank you @Mathias Dahl , will there be ‘any adverse effects’ in using CFV view in object connections? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It works!, thank you @Mathias Dahl , will there be ‘any adverse effects’ in using CFV view in object connections? 

It’s hard to say really. We’re using those views in several places throughout IFS. As long as these views only contain more fields I would think there should not be any functional problems. But performance might be a concern, depending on what kind of custom field it is. You simply need to try it and see, and be on the lookout for problems that might be related to the point in time you set that view to be used instead of the base view.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@SachinthaH @Mathias Dahl how do you change the view in object connection transformations? I am trying to set the target to a custom field on the OutInvoiceUtilPub.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Under Solution Manager / Object Connections. Find the LU/entity and change the view name.