Solved

NCR Object Connection Problems

• 25 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Customer’s question:

- When creating a DocRev ObjectConnection to a CustomerInfoContact you only have three, impractical fields in the selector.

You also do not get any more search fields when clicking on "Find".

Ideally you would see the Name, Forename, Company, etc. of the CustomerInfoContact.

- The same is true for SupplierInfoContact.

- SupplierShipment does not have a selector at all.

- When creating a NCR ObjectConnection to a SupplierShipment, you also do not get any selector at all.

Furthermore, if you enter a (valid) SupplierShipment Id manually, you receive an error message.

Product Version: Apps 10 UPD16

Business Impact: Connection between SupplierShipment and NCR is not possible (this is required for a process).
Connection between Contacts and DocRevs is extremely difficult to impossible, since normal users can not simply access the GUID. This kind of connection will be standard and happen hundred of times daily, once we go live.

My Question:

I checked the same in Tech CMB Apps10 Aurena and I was able to see the same as customer reported in CustomerInfoContact and SupplierInfoContact. I was unable to recreate NCR Object Connection SupplierShipment. 

So, my question is, is this the correct behavior or are there any alternatives to what the customer has reported? The customer has sent us a test plan and the test plan as follows.

Test Plan

1. Open Page „Document Revision“
  2. Change to Tab „Objects“
  3. Click the „+“ to add a new connection
  4. Select a LU, in this example “CustomerInfoContact”
  5. Open the drowdown of “Object Key”. Here you can see one the selectors in question. It only shows “Guid”, “Role” and “Connect All Customer Addresses” as search and display columns. This is also true if you open the extended “Find” dialogue of the selector. As far as I am aware a normal user has no simple way to obtain the Guid, as such the selector is hardly usable.
icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 25 October 2023, 12:57

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

The available columns are not controlled by IFS Document Management.

What happens is that the framework checks the View Name defined under Solution Management / Object Connections, for the Logical Unit in question, and uses, I think, the attributes that have been flagged with the L (= LOV) flag as well as the key attribute.

You can change this view, and I did, to CUST_INFO_CONTACT_LOV2_PUB (you can try the other views as well), and it will show more columns. Note: this data is fetched when you open the Document Revision page, and then cached, so changing the view after that will not help until the server is restarted I think. So if you test, make sure to change the view before the Document Revision page is accessed the first time.

If you have access to IEE still, then the same concept exist there, the same view is used, and you can experiment with different views there until you find one that works well. Then try it in Aurena.

This is how it looks after I changed the view (in 22R2 though...):

Good luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

The available columns are not controlled by IFS Document Management.

But would it be possible to place the LOV on the “Object” field (as it is in IEE) instead of “Object LU” and also fill “Object LU” automatically instead of vice versa? It would not make it easier to search for the desired object - which this topic was all about - but it would be easier to find to correct type of “business object” to search for. As for now you need for example to know that Design Objects (in Asset Design) are placed in the logical unit (LU) ‘PlantObject’.

Since connecting document to objects is one of the real strong arguments for IFS Docman this flow would benefit from having nice support in searching for objects :)

Thanks,
Erik

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@xeam-eran We can look into it if you file an idea here on IFS Community 🙂 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@xeam-eran We can look into it if you file an idea here on IFS Community 🙂 

Done - Idea “Simplified workflow for connect document(s) to object(s)” created 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks! 😀💪🏻🌈

Badge +1

so changing the view after that will not help until the server is restarted I think.

What did you mean by restart the server? Did you mean middleware server?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

so changing the view after that will not help until the server is restarted I think.

What did you mean by restart the server? Did you mean middleware server?

Yes. There might be another way but I don't know about it.