Solved

Is it possible to combine document revisions into one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Say I have three Word documents. Each entered as a document revision. Is there an option to combine the three and produce either one Word or PDF document from it?

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 11 May 2022, 10:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

This is not possible. IFS Document Management does not work on the content of the attachments with two exeption: Electronic signature and macros. But both will not help for your requirement as macros will always work on one document revision.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for helping out @heibde ! 💪🏻 

But both will not help for your requirement as macros will always work on one document revision.

That's actually not true in all cases 😃 As I remember it, we support macros even for an operation like Copy Files To... So, in theory you could define a macro for that operation (or process, as it is called in that basic data), and try to use code in the macro itself or some tool to merge the downloaded files into one. I admit it would be quite a bit of a hack to do so, but it might be worth trying out.

Even if such a macro cannot be done (the devil is in the detail...), another semi-automatic option is to download all files to disk, then run some script/tool/whatever on them.

But there is no built-in feature for doing this, no.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Mathias,

in my understanding a macro can only act on one document revision. Will it be really possible that a macro can copy the attachments of different document revisions into a folder and start an external tool for combining all documents in the folder? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

It's time to update your understanding I think, by reading the documentation 😃

Look here:

http://docweb.corpnet.ifsworld.com/ifsdoc/Apps10/documentation/en/CreateAndMaintainDocument/AboutDocumentMacro.htm?StandAlone=true

Search for "The Following Macro block can be used to retrieve macro attributes relevant to copy document file process" and you will find an example macro for the COPYFILETO process.

Try it out and let us know how it works.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I can see that I can access meta data of older revisions. But I still can’t see how I can access the attachments of all document revisions. The macro still works on one attachment.

Do you have an example how I can access the attachments of other document revisions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Do you have an example how I can access the attachments of other document revisions?

Give the above a try and let us know how it worked out for you. Perhaps you will be surprised? Or I will be... 😃