ifsapp10 docman

• 12 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

o   Use of external Document Store locations vs in database storage and advantages 

o   How to upload documents into IFS (e.g. through automated integration) is this possible ?

o   How to provide external access to documents (e.g. to other applications) can it be possible?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

What is the difference between use of external Document Store locations vs in database storage and also advantages?

How to upload documents into IFS application through automated integration? is this available with docman IFSAPP10?

How to provide external access to documents via other applications? is this possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

The Apps 10 documentation is not available publicly, so this link will only work for people in IFS:

http://clouddocs/ifsdoc/Apps10/Documentation/en/CreateAndMaintainDocument/AboutDocumentFileRepositories.htm?StandAlone=true

The documentation for IFS Cloud is, however:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/23r1/CreateAndMaintainDocument/AboutDocumentFileRepositories.htm?StandAlone=true

Of course, the documentation for IFS Cloud is for ... IFS Cloud 🙂 and is of course not fully applicable to Apps 10. But much of it is correct.

As for how to access documents from an integration, our REST APIs would be the ideal choice, but it all depends on what tools you have available.

What are the use cases? Can you share some details?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Mathias Dahl  I really  appreciate your feedback on this.

I have several questions on this

1. Do you have to set up a single one or can you have more than one file repository location for different file types in apps10 ?
  2. And would that is that possible in cloud as well?
  3. Does IFS have a tool that allows us to migrate them out of database and into SMB?

Or is that a technical task?

For exsample so I'm just thinking at the moment we have the way we use document management at the moment. I have a lot of supplier invoices which are attached to the supplier invoice in IFS.

The PDFs are attached as documents and there in the database and they're quite big for big files and it would be nice because and they are slowing us down on backup and recovery and I was thinking in the future it would be nice if I could put them into storage outside of the database costs.

We don't need to access them fast and I was just my question is really is there an easy process to change file repository locations if you've already started using a location? What are the steps ?

So is it an easy task to go and say I have these documents in the database repository? I would like to now move and store those documents in a file share or an SMB SMB repository.

1. When we have the rest APIs, does that mean we're able to use those? Are our use case would be a third party system wants to just read or get a copy of the PDF documents attached to the part record?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

In the first document I linked to above, at the bottom, we mention an assistant we have that can be used to move document files from one repository to another:

If you are planning to use Apps 10 for some time more, you can use this assistant to move files out of the database. However, if you soon are planning to upgrade to IFS Cloud I would instead propose that you keep the files in the database and, once you have upgraded, move them out to File Storage. We have a tool for doing that work:

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/23r2/030_administration/210_cloud_file_storage/fsmigtool/

Documents can easily be downloaded using REST, yes. You can use Chrome's developer tools and the Network tab there to see what network calls are done for downloading document files. Make sure to disable the Aurena Agent when you do this, or else you will not see the actual download there.