Question

IFS Cloud - Document Management

• 17 January 2022
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello,

On IFS Cloud - We can retrieve documents stored on FTP path (Stored in pervious versions of IFS). But are not able to add any new document. there is no error while uploading. But where retrieving it gives error.  

https://ifsuat.<aaa>/main/ifsapplications/projection/v1/ManageDocuments.svc/DocIssueSet(DocClass='BRIEF',DocNo='BRIEF008664',DocSheet='1',DocRev='1')/EdmFileRefArray(DocClass='BRIEF',DocNo='BRIEF008664',DocSheet='1',DocRev='1',DocType='ORIGINAL',FileNo=1)/FileData might be having issues, or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks alot! Although it might not look like it, I think there are errors in the FTP log file 🙃 Have a look at my latest comment on the case in Service Now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @Mathias Dahl
good finding:point_up_2_tone2:. We will try to use FTP client from linux box to make sure upload/downloads work from there.
Thanks a lot for checking the logs! Jan

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@Mathias Dahl 
just a quick update, I did not manage to run FTP from odata container, but I was testing from linux box and I think I found the issue. The FTP server is by default using quite wide range of ports for passive mode and from security reasons not all of them are opened from the linux box. I will share more details with findings and testing results later today/tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for the update. Yes, I think the firewall rules could definitely be the cause here, even if upload works but download does not. Because of the sometimes hard to understand handling of the different ports when using FTP.

Looking forward to hear the results of further experimentation. I hope we can all learn from this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Mathias,
pls. find new document attachment to the case with my findings. I used curl to retrieve the pdf file from FTP. I run the command from:
1. MTS Ubuntu OS - works fine, ending with status 226
2. oData container in K8s - does not work, ending with status 550, despite K8s firewall disabled

I would like to highlight also screenshot with FTP log for both scenarios, for scenario #2 it seems the Data Channel is closed with status 258. And I noticed that  the IP address of the client is missing on these lines. It seems the Data Channel communication is not somehow routed back to K8s cluster. Or any other idea?
Thanks Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I’m out of ideas. “It’s something with the network” :-)

I hope my colleagues who knows the ins and outs of containers will join in soon with some fresh ideas of things to try.

They should be in touch anytime soon.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Mathias,
yesterday we were trying to monitor the network traffic from linux box to FTP server with using tcpdump  and we were trying to see the difference between upload and download.
We recognized there is no traffic initiated to FTP server on the port where the download is supposed to happen.
While you are investigating we can also try to use another FTP server (with newer OS then WS2012) whether we see the same behavior.  
BR Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for the update. If you can, add the same information on the case/ticket so we have the full information there. I can see that we have now got a comment from the other R&D team, in Jira. Not sure if it has yet reached you via ServiceNow. I will have a look at it now.

I would not expect the FTP server being the culprit here, given the tests that you have done, rather it is the container. It works “outside” the container, from the Linux machine that hosts the containers. It does not make sense to me that the FTP server should be causing the problems.

At the same time, it’s worth trying. I am often wrong :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Mathias,
thanks for update, I will post the update to the case too.
No new info/findings have arrived on this via case, so I appreciate to get any.
You are most probably right with the FTP server. So let’s see the finding you have.
Thanks Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Got some questions from a colleague. I copied them to the case.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Dear all,
just want to share for others here, the issue was found in K8s cluster and fix is coming with 21R2SU3. Having SU3 installed, it works fine then.
Thank you @Mathias Dahl for all your support.
Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@ORFJAN 

Very glad to hear that, thanks for reporting back here as well!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi,

I m having a IFS cloud customer with IFS Cloud 21.1, SU4 claiming that the issue  he had  in SU2 is still occurring for ftp repository.

Quoting from the customer: 

“When viewing an existing document which was stored in the ftp repository long time ago, the error message is:
{"error":{"code":"ODATA_PROVIDER_ERROR","message":"Ein interner Serverfehler ist aufgetreten. Wenden Sie sich an den Administrator.","details":[{"code":"PROJECTION_IMPL_EXCEPTION","message":"Error when reading the file: Error while downloading the file. Failed to connect to FTP server: IFS-FTP-REP-PROD: System error"}]}}

If you create a new document, no error is shown but the file is not stored in the repository.”

When he first reported at SU2, we have asked him to wait till SU4. 

Any views on this? 

Thank you all in advance. :) 
Dhananji

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello Dhananji,

Its working fine after SU3. 

Regards

Pankaj