Solved

How to check out edit and check in existing document

• 3 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I am trying to figure out how to take an existing document in IFS - edit it - and check it back in - have tried many different scenerios and so far none have worked.   Some help would be greatly appreciated :relaxed:

icon

Best answer by Yasanthi Gunawardena 3 November 2021, 12:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

What is the document revision status for the document you need to edit?

If it is a released document, you have to first create a new document revision, then you can check out the pending revision and make the changes from there.  Released and revision stamped will prevent changes necessarily.  If the document has never been released, then you should be able to make changes directly by selecting the Edit function rather than View.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

so there is no date released so I am assuming it is not released but if I hit Edit and then make the changes - then what do I do?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi Sandra,

To edit a document, you should have edit access to the particular document. For example, if you add an existing document to a customer order using Attach button,

You can edit the document if you have edit access in Document revision, Access tab.

And Edit option will be enabled to you so that you can click on that, make necessary changes, save and then click on Check In button. Once you select Edit button, File status will be shown as Checked out.

Once you edit, save and click on Check In button, File status will be shown as Checked In. In this way you can edit any existing document.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Yasanthi

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

That worked - thank you so much

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

That worked - thank you so much

Glad you sorted it out. If I may ask, what was the biggest stumbling block? Is there anything we could make more clear to make this process easier to understand?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

One more question - is there somewhere that you can access original docs - meaning - I open original and edit it and check it in - is that original still stored somewhere that can be accessed

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

You mean if you can access the old original file that you just checked in a modified version of? No, not without asking the IT dept. to retrieve the older file from backups.

They way “keep old versions” is to explicitly create new revisions of the documents.