FTP - Move documents

• 10 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 22 replies

Hi,

Replicating a question i raised approx 10 months ago regarding moving the DOCMAN repository to a new location after out FTP server crashed… well the one 10 months ago we were able to fix and get FTP up and running again so wasn’t a big issue.. now our other FTP server has died and now we need to move all the repositories to the new server..

I’ve raised a case with IFS but all they did was to point me to my post from 10 months ago!!

I’ve created the new FTP server, created the repository and user.

I’ve created the repository to the new FTP server and the correct path and set it to Generating.. I tested this and i can create new documents to the new location…

When i try to view existing documents that were created using the old FTP server i get an error stating the FTP server can’t be found..if I run the debug console when viewing the document it does appear to be still looking at the old location for the file…

Is there something else i need to do to get this working?

@durette @Mathias Dahl do you guys have any other suggestions for this please?

Regards,

Mick.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Mathias Dahl ,

I haven’t seen something similar to this issue before. Do you have any idea?  Can you share the steps to create new repository, If that will help mick

Cheers,

Nipun

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@MickD 

So, the problem is viewing the old documents, that were places on the old FTP server. I must ask, since I don’t think you said it (but I think you did it): did you move (or copy) the files to the new FTP server?

I think you did, so let me ask you this, too, to get your synapses activated :-), how would IFS know the files have moved, what did you do to make it know the files moved? How does IFS even know where the files are, or were, placed in the first place?

The answers lie in three simple entities in IFS (you have to figure out the view or table names yourself):

• EdmFile (connected to each document revision, knows the file name and in which repo the file is (LocationName))
  • EdmLocation (these are the repositories with their names, which class they are used for, if they are Generating or not, and which type it has, etc.)
  • EdmLocationUser (the machine name/IP, username and password for the FTP server)

If you have the tools to do so, review the content of those entities and I think you will soon understand how it fits together (EdmFile is the only big one, the others probably not have much data).

It’s *really* simple once you look at it a little bit.

With the new knowledge, let us know if you have the same questions still, or if you have new questions :-)

Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @MickD ,

I’m assuming you were able to recover you documents from the FTP server which recently died and copied them to the new FTP server.   I believe everything would work correctly with the new FTP server if the new FTP server is using the same IP Address and Port Number as the old FTP server.   You wouldn’t need a new Repository if the new FTP server matched you old FTP setup.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Good point, @william.klotz ! I assumed it wasn't such an easy scenario 🙃

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks for your replies @Mathias Dahl @william.klotz 

A little more info…

i have managed to get the ‘old’ ftp server working again… so now we have access to both ftp server…. but I still want to move to the new ftp and retire the old server altogether.. but its not as urgent as it was...

So, the new FTP server is an existing file server so I haven’t been able to give it the same name / ip as the old ftp.

@Mathias Dahl for your recommendations…

for the new ftp server...I have  configured the Repository Address and User. Created a new Repository for a single Document Class ( for testing ) its configured the same as the original but pointing to the new ftp server / path.. I also gave it a new repository ID and set this to generating with the old one set to Usable.

so now i can create a new document and it goes to the new server repository but if i view any documents that were created when pointing to the old ftp / repository then i can’t view..

EdmFile… I can’t see where this is configured? is this in IFS itself or are you talking about the table?

I think the only way to do this is to actually update the LOCATION_NAME in the EDM_FILE_TAB ( unless you disagree? ) but I don’t want to go ahead any change this data without the OK of IFS.

Also yes i managed to copy all the documents to the new server and set the directory structure the same as the old server.

Regards,

Mick.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@MickD 

I think the only way to do this is to actually update the LOCATION_NAME in the EDM_FILE_TAB ( unless you disagree? ) but I don’t want to go ahead any change this data without the OK of IFS.

That is exactly what I think you should do :) Make sure the path in the new repo, if there is any, is the same as in the old one and it should be fine. Or, you can even keep the old repo and just update the machine name used there (by updating the table). Then you don’t need to update all records in EdmFile and you don’t need the new repo at all. Basically you just changes the machine name (or IP). And, yes, if you do this you need to have a new entry in EdmLocationUser, with the username and password. Unless you update that table too.

We don’t have any tools/commands for these scenarios I’m afraid.