Question

EDM : 2 different files with the same name

• 30 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hello,
I have a situation with a customer that I've never had before. I'd like to share it with you and see if a solution exists.

The customer wants to create a document in EDM from a document called planABS.pdf, for example. No problem creating the file. The document revision is created and we can view the associated pdf file.
Now the customer creates an EDM document from a file called planABS.xlsx. No problem creating it
Note: the two files have the same name but neither the same content nor the same extension.

When the customer wants to view the Excel document, the system suggests viewing the original or the copy. By default, the option is on the copy. If it leaves the copy, the first PDF uploaded is opened (and therefore has nothing to do with the content of the Excel document). If you open the document using the original option, the excel file will open.
Note: in the REF File tab, there are two lines. One with the excel file and the other with the PDF file.

Do you know how to prevent the pdf file from being added to the document revision of the excel file?
It seems that the system only searches on the name of the file without taking into account the extension to see if a file of the visualisation type exists.

Regards

Yannick

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi Yannick,

just go to EDM Basics and set the extension ‘PDF’ to ‘Original’ instead of ‘View Copy’. Then the file planABS.pdf will be checked in as original and the xlsx won’t belong to the same document.

Best regards, Heinz

Badge +3

Hi Heinz,

Thanks a lot!

Yannick

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks @heibde !

@yalefr, if you decide to set the document type of PDF files are Original and not View, just make sure to understand what it is you are throwing out, which is the concept of view copies. You can read more about it here:

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/23r1/CreateAndMaintainDocument/AboutEDMFile.htm?StandAlone=true

Search for "view cop".

Once you change this, you will not be able to make use of view copies where the file type is PDF.