Question

Documentation - Permission Set "Activities"

• 30 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Users have training materials from "IFS AdminTrng (Apps9)"  That material contains a link to a "List of Activities and Windows/Screens":  
..........ifsdoc/f1doc/Foundation1/040_administration/210_security/020_permission_sets/reference_itd/feature_activities.htm.  

However, that list does not cover ALL the Permission Set Activities, for example, "Document Management" Activities.  Where can I find or get "HELP", i.e., explanations, on all the Activities NOT covered in Foundation1 help as noted ?? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Nipun,

You seem to ask about this document (I could not find a link to it, I wonder if it was hidden on purpose, because it might be outdated):

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/Foundation1/040_administration/210_security/020_permission_sets/reference_itd/feature_activities.htm

What's your end goal here? What do you want to achieve? Do you want to know what middle tier activities there are in IFS?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Mathias Dahl

See my previous post here which ended up as this post after I entered an Internet Support Center “Request Case”.  As you can see, my post has nothing.

I’m aware of and have reviewed Foundation1/040_administration/210_security/020_permission_sets/reference_itd/ feature_activities.htm   Those have links within the application and can be understood via context.  What I’m trying to understand are the other 2/3’s, the activities which aren’t listed on the Foundation1 page.

My goal is to understand the tools I have as the Permissions Sets Administrator.  For example, a while back I spent 7 hr.s in trial and error testing until I found the four Activities necessary to solve:  “The URL ( ) of IFS Enterprise Explorer Feature for MS Reporting Services is incorrect or needs to be set”.   Management found it hard to believe I had to “Trial and Error” because there is no backing (Help) documentation.

Grouping Activities by Components we find a Document Management folder with over 45 activities.  As far as I can tell, there is no way to understand what each does or allows short of trial and error testing.  There are many folders like this, full of “mystery” activities.

• IFS training doesn’t cover this
  • IFS training materials don’t cover this
  • IFS HELP (F1) doesn’t include these activities
  • These Activities do not have no associated link to follow
  • These Activities are not list on  Foundation1/040_administration/210_security/020_permission_sets/reference_itd/ feature_activities.htm

Again, my goal is to understand the tools I have as the Permissions Sets Administrator, in particular,  those activities which aren’t listed on the Foundation1 page mentioned above.

Thanks, Troy

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @ttzeleznik ,

some of the activities are not meant to use for 3rd parties. RnD not decided to add help documentation for this at the moment. We need to check with what is the requirement and update the document with which grants needs to work this functionality etc… Can you Please let us know it?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Nipun

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi, sorry for the late follow-up.

Like Nipun said, some, or many I would say, of those activities, are really technical building blocks in certain flows in IFS. They are not documented since, in general, they are not meant to be used by anyone that R&D. If we could we would actually hide them, but we can't do that the way that concept is built.

Having said that, it's of course important that, if you want to grant some functionality to a user in IFS, you should not have to guess how to do it.

I do not speak for all of R&D now (because I only work with some areas), but the approach we have taken for our different Attachments (which uses activities as the underlying API), for example, is to have pre-made permission sets, with good names and descriptions, such that you don't have to guess what activity to grant. In some cases perhaps we have solved the problem by documentation as well.

So, as Nipun said, let's discuss instead what use cases you have where you had to guess, and solve that the way we meant it to be solved (pre-made permission sets or specific documentation).

Or to put it in another way: if there is a feature you want to grant to users which you don't understand how to grant, and if we are not telling you via pre-made permission sets or documentation, report a case about it and we will either help you in the case itself, or make a new permission set or add some specific documentation.

Or, of course, ask your specific question here.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@Nipun Gunaratne, @Mathias Dahl ,

So the problem I have with, “let's discuss instead what use cases you have where you had to guess, and solve that the way we meant it to be solved...” is the next time I have to solve a (possible) Activities issue, I’ll have to enter an IFS case.  That case, a question, will be dispositioned as a “Training Issue“ and I’ll be dead-ended.   That is the first part about of how we got here.  After I filled out the Customer Satisfaction survey (lucky enough to get one), Thanuja R. (Manager in Global Support Organization ) was gracious enough to reopen my case “to fully fix the reported issue”.  

And so I’d like to understand each Activity’s function within the component:

• DOCMAN
  • EQUIP
  • WO

Given the more than 350 undocumented Activities, the above is significantly less than that.

Thanks, Troy

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Nipun Gunaratne@Mathias Dahl ,...is the next time I have to solve a (possible) Activities issue, I’ll have to enter an IFS case.  That case, a question, will be dispositioned as a “Training Issue“ and I’ll be dead-ended.

If it happens again, let's discuss here. It does not take much effort.

And so I’d like to understand each Activity’s function within the component:

• DOCMAN
  • EQUIP
  • WO

We're not going to document those that are not already documented, sorry. The names of them will have to be enough for you.

We need to focus on outcomes here, not to understand every little technical part of IFS. There are a lot of technical parts we could document in theory (all PL/SQL APIs, for example) which we don't. It would not hurt but it would probably also not be something that brings benefits to many, and it would mean we can spend less time on more important things.

Is there currently some feature or functionality in IFS that you need to grant your users but which you don't understand how to? If yes, let's discuss that.If not, I think we need to end the discussion here.

Thanks for discussing.