Solved

Document Revision Originals

• 9 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

What happened to the tab Originals between Apps10 and IFS Cloud (Aurena)?

The activities “Register Document Original” and “Register Sheets for the Original” have also been removed from the process model, so I assume this functionality has either been completely deprecated, or replaced by something else?

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 9 February 2022, 19:49

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Kenneth, nice to see you here, hope you are doing well over there :)

The data and data model is still in place but we thought of not implementing any client and see if this is something we could deprecate fully soon. It would not be hard to reimplement clients in Aurena, should we need it (this functionality has very little “logic”).

As I am sure you can guess, this functionality is really old and we suspect it is used rarely, if at all. During my 20+ years of working with Docman I don’t think I can recall a single support case in this area.

Are you suggesting someone would need it? It is of course not completely out of the question that someone wants to keep detailed track of “physical documents” even today, but, yeah... Also, even without the originals and sheet information you can of course still keep a document for it and have the information you need in some of the “free” fields we have on a document title and revision.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Mathias, it’s nice to be back in touch too :-) And thanks for the quick reply. The question arises from an upgrade project to IFS Cloud and the information is used on some 1.4M documents in the customer’s database. It is used to track the origins of the document (e g which CAD system it came from) and also where it is stored externally (outside of docman). It is of medium or low priority, though. If I understand you correct the underlying tables will still be kept in the upgrade and in that case we may consider some appropriate tailoring (custom tab etc), or moving the information to other fields in the upgrade as you suggest.

/ Kenneth

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for the background information.

We have a related feature that was added some releases back where you can say where a document is archived (Archive No) and the archive status. You will find this under the Correspondence tab in IEE. There is basic data for those archives. Something for them to consider instead. As for the information about the origin, perhaps they can use the Description fields for that. And we even have Alt Doc No for recording any document number that was used in another system, or place. Or, as you say, some "custom stuff" might be able to bring the data to life again.