Solved

Document management-using default Repository

• 2 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

My customer are in APP10 UPD12 using only Aurena client and MS AAD. They are going to start using the DOCMAN..

Here is the question I received from customer “ I need to know the impact of Document Management on the system?  We are looking at approximately 1 million + documents per year.  What is the impact of using the default repository?  What options are available?  Ect"

I have also read it in community note that

to over come the growing database concern, customer could opt for the other repository options which is already there in the document management.

Those other options are FTP and shared folders (on the application server itself or on a network share).”

But in another answer FTP and Shared document repositories are currently not supported there.

Could someone clarify the above so we can give them a firm solution for this please?

Thank you

Uma Selvaraj

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 4 July 2021, 16:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Correction:Customer is on premise and they have their own server. they have set AAD for the users. Learned that the Ftp supported. But still wanted to learn about any impact on performance/db slow down by having 1 million + docs per year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @UMSEUS ,

Answering you question about system performance with a million documents a year would be difficult there are many factors.  I would recommend using either FTP or shared location to store that many documents.  Storing that many in the database would cause your database to grow rapidly and increase your backup and restore time.  You would need to make sure your Test and Development environments are configured so they can not delete document at minimum but I configure them so users can only view document so the production environment has data integrity.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I agree with @william.klotz . The problem would be to keep all documents in the database, causing backup and recovery times to increase. With the right Oracle competence and backup and recovery strategy it must not be a problem, but you need to know what you are doing. FTP and/or Shared repos are better from that perspective (but causes other problems, now you need to backup the files separately, and you might get “syncing” issues in case you need to restore from backups). You should also know that you loose document content search (only available in IEE though) by not having the document files in the database.

As for “performance” (slow vs fast) I would not think that having many documents would be a problem per se. It depends a bit on how you use the system, what queries you make, etc. Most of the problems we see (in general, not for documents specifically) when the number of records increase can often be fixed after some investigations, adding some indexes or optimizing a query here and there.