Solved

Document approval in multiple companies

• 5 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi All,

We are using document management '>' approvals to approve new objects.  Currently some of the users included in the approval have access to more than one company.  If the users default company doesn't match the company attached to the object, it takes him to the object screen(When RMB’s and selects Object Info) but it’s blank because his default company is different.  Users have to change global company multiple times to approve these objects. Do we have a method to overcome the issue and access to multiple companies?

Thanks & Best Regards,

Nipun

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 7 February 2022, 08:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Have them go directly to the Document Revision to do the approval instead of the view that is company dependent.  The object is the dependency that is Company dependent, not the approval or the document, it just happens that the object view they are going to is Company dependent.  There is no way to change that unless there is also a Multi-Company Analysis overview that would allow viewing the object across multiple companies.

Since you don’t mention the actual object, it is difficult to offer precise suggestions, but the Document Revision view will always work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @ShawnBerk ,

This is the step which we have done. I think it’s because of the object which is company dependent. 

When the RMB and selects Object Info, it takes user to the Project screen but it’s blank because his default company is 210 not 200

Could you please tell me about ‘Multi-Company Analysis overview’ ?

Best Regards,

Nipun

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

If you look at various multi-company overview screens in the navigator, that is what I meant, but there isn’t one for projects.

I think the only way to do what you want is with a custom function to change the company to the target company for the approval before opening the view.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I cannot think of an “automatic” solution for this problem. My suggestion is therefore to think of another way to work. For example, approve the steps you need to approve in batches, per company. So, sort out the approvals you have to do for company 200. Change the default company to that, and do the approvals. Repeat for the other companies you need to approve.

That is, if you need to use Object Info… If not, you can of course approve straight away from the Approvals screen.

Or perhaps they can develop a small quick report that summarizes the most important information about the “object”, joined with the approval steps you have. Then, use the approvals screen to approve the steps.

In my view, but then again I seldom “use” the company concept, it is strange to not show a record, just because it uses another company than your default. To me it would seem logical that I can see the record if “I have access to“ the company, which seems to be the case here. In my view, the problem lies in the screen the user navigates to. Why does it not show a record, just because the company it uses is not the one that is currently the default? Again, assuming the user has access to the company.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I cannot think of an “automatic” solution for this problem. My suggestion is therefore to think of another way to work. For example, approve the steps you need to approve in batches, per company. So, sort out the approvals you have to do for company 200. Change the default company to that, and do the approvals. Repeat for the other companies you need to approve.

That is, if you need to use Object Info… If not, you can of course approve straight away from the Approvals screen.

Or perhaps they can develop a small quick report that summarizes the most important information about the “object”, joined with the approval steps you have. Then, use the approvals screen to approve the steps.

In my view, but then again I seldom “use” the company concept, it is strange to not show a record, just because it uses another company than your default. To me it would seem logical that I can see the record if “I have access to“ the company, which seems to be the case here. In my view, the problem lies in the screen the user navigates to. Why does it not show a record, just because the company it uses is not the one that is currently the default? Again, assuming the user has access to the company.

@Mathias Dahl are you considering the last part as a bug in the system? I mean not showing data when  navigating through different screen, while having access to that company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@Mathias Dahl 

My presumption is that the way the link gets constructed in the approval as standard it isn’t carrying the company information embedded in the link, which results in the view opening to whatever the current default company is set to.

If the link were to carry the company detail, it should switch the company on the opening of the link.

ifsapf:tbwSuppInvoice_Ext?COMPANY=10&CLIENTSEARCH=(plus a bunch more link info)

I’ve tried it with my company set to something other than 10, then pasting in link that contains the company info, switches the company and opens the object.

If the link is generically containing the project ID or some piece of info that isn’t company aware, then the search is going to present results not found until the company is switched.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi again,

I was going to say that there is probably nothing we can or should do from the very generic Approvals screen (we try to stay away from working around issues in any of the 5000+ possible screens a user might end up in when using Object Info), but the comment from @ShawnBerk  changed my mind, and we should at least have a look.

Most probably we are not using the Client Search mechanism here, we are probably doing a more direct or internal "data transfer". So that exact thing there will probably not work. But the general idea might (basically add the company ID to that data transfer).

@Nipun Gunaratne

I recommend you file a case with us on this one, unless there already is one, so we can have a closer look and see if there is a way for us to add the company ID to the data transfer (and also to make sure that such a change does not break the flow for other object types)

Thanks!