Question

DocMan EDM Repository Type "File Storage Service"

• 14 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The 21R2 documentation now makes a reference to a “File Storage Service” repository type. How does this work? How do I set this up? How do end users use it?

https://docs.ifs.com/ifsclouddocs/21r2/CreateAndMaintainDocument/ActivityEnterRepositoryLocation.htm

@Mathias Dahl(?) 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

You can read more about it here:

https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/21r2/010_overview/760_file_storage_service/

For an end user, it should not be noticeable which repository type that is used, apart from maybe some small performance differences...

It's in "limited release" status on 21R2, which means you need to ask for it to get it, I think. And, at least initially it’s only for managed cloud customers I think, which means there is not much to setup, apart from the repos in Docman.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

And, at least initially it’s only for managed cloud customers I think

That’s disappointing.

IFS Cloud | Global Enterprise Software Solution | IFS

Choose from:

• Cloud—deployed and managed by IFS
  • Remote in one of your own datacenters

Whatever your choice, you get exactly the same functionality and intelligent capabilities.

I think I can understand the technical reasons, though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

We use FTP currently, but FTP isn’t encrypted, and that’s why I’m here. I’m working on an upgrade and am hoping to improve our security posture in our new version.

Shared storage isn’t feasible in a global HTTPS scenario where not everyone is inside our network.

Database storage has many drawbacks:

• It hides the document files from format-aware antimalware protection, leaving us less protected from dangerous files that might get checked in by the end users.
  • It slows down backups, and should recovery be needed, it leads to longer downtime.
  • It slows down nonproduction copies.
  • It slows down upgrades, increasing downtime during the go-live.
  • It increases the cost of hosting nonproduction environments.
  • Migration work is inconvenient now that direct database calls are discouraged.
  • Cached LOB access competes for space in the buffer cache.
  • It leaves us with a bigger upgrade should IFS ever decide to move away from Oracle.

I guess we’re stuck with FTP. It would be nice if the middleware could read a Windows file share directly without requiring network access from the client. (Ubuntu has cifs-utils.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Regarding this:

> It would be nice if the middleware could read a Windows file share directly without requiring network access from the client. (Ubuntu has cifs-utils.)

That's exactly how it works, for any repository type. The client (the web browser running Aurena/IFS Cloud in this case) doesn't directly access the repository.

In IFS Cloud 21R2 SU3, both Shared and FTP repositories works. When running the Remote deployment option, that is.

Give it a try!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

That's exactly how it works, for any repository type. The client (the web browser running Aurena/IFS Cloud in this case) doesn't directly access the repository.

Thank you.