Doc Approval Terminology

• 5 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13
  • Hero (Customer)
  • 355 replies

I’m curious … Can anyone shed any light why Document Approvals ‘requiring attention/needing sign-off’ come under the heading “Unattended”, please?  Feels like an odd word to use.  

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Linda, thanks for asking here.

It might be due to our application being developed by people who are not native English speakers (and those who are might not be able to review, or understand, every part of the application so they cannot tell us when we are wrong.) To me, "unattended" sounds fine, and ChatGPT don't disagree 🙂 

If you feel changing the label would bring clarity and enhance the user experience of a majority of users of this functionality, feel free to file an idea in the Ideas section here on IFS Community to get it changed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Thanks, @Mathias Dahl .  I'm do appreciate the global nature of the product and the linguistic challenges that brings. 

However, in 25 years of using IFS “Unattended” is a term I have never come across - Planned, Pending, Preliminary, Unconfirmed, Unapproved, Unauthorised, Wait Approval, yes but not “Unattended”.  The meaning wasn’t immediately obvious to me.  Perhaps it has been there in some other area of the application we don’t use.  

I’m sad we’re relying on ChatGPT to confirm language choices :-(  even if it did support my point that “Unattended” is not ‘aligned’ with the “language in our application” and was not ‘easily understood’ by this user.  

However, as I said, I was just ‘curious’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks, Linda.

If I had to name that heading I probably would have used Pending or Not Approved, and probably not Unattended.

Anyway, you got the answer, that there is probably no special reason for the choice of word. It just … happened… :)