Solved

Benchmarking details related to Document Management Replication

• 16 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi,

Customer is going to use IFS HUB as their main central repository for document, and would like to know any IFS bench marking details such as:

1.      Is there any known limitation of maximum size of document which supposed to  replicate.?

2.      Any known  consideration about memory allocation to IntServers in HUB and SATs with regards to size of the document to be replicate.

Can we have an official answer from RnD or from any other consultant familiar in this area ?

I referred “User Guide - Replication (Data Synchronization)” and Technical Documentation as well, but could not find above information.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Thilini

icon

Best answer by Thilini Kumarasinghe 15 October 2021, 11:56

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@ThilankaMadugoda  and @Krishantha  - Any comments around this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi Thilini,

I can share the following based on my experience on the topic. Hope it helps

There is no document size limitation built into the document replication solution. But due to the quality of  actual networks used/available at replication customers, then there are limits to what is technically possible as a replication vendor.

As a rule of thumb, when file size reach 10 MB or above, I would question the usefulness of such files on a satellite. This 10 MB number depend on available bandwidth, latency, packet loss etc.. as well. One of our customers has a solution to transfer lager files by breaking them into small parts as a modification.

When one stores large volumes of files on the same HUB database, eventual rollout and disaster recovery can be challenging. This is normally avoided by planning and design.

On the memory usage, on APP8  we knew each document may use as 4-5 times of that memory on application server. That is if you check-in 1 GB documents , App server will use 4 to 5  GB just for document replication. Solution was redesigned by technology team for App9 and APP10. I don’t know the answer for these versions. I have not heard any challenges from our  APP9 or APP10 customers on the application server memory  either.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello Thilanka

Many Thanks for the reply, we already seen a issue at this customer, where it uploaded file around like 37 MB, and HUB was keep processing that message in LOB queue, ( VSAT connection was fine and normal IN and OUT queues processing correctly ) while it can be seen in  SATs the message were received and even processed, but for some reason HUB keeps processing and sending it,  so that is one of the reason to know limitation of the document size. If customer have valid business need to send large files to vessels or other way round and no limitation from IFS, then it should work. I understand your comment about available bandwidth, latency, packet loss etc.. , Supposed during transfer of large file ( may be 50 or 100 M) that connection being lost, and I expect the transfer being started again when then connection is back without creating stability issue at Application layer isn't it ? 

Thanks a lot for feedback about memory usage, I will try to get more information, actually the customer in total hope large amount of document ( more than 1 TB)  of document to transfer from HUB to vessels ( I mean each vessel will get its own portion)  

Kind Regards

Amila 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ThilankaMadugoda 

Thank you very much for your assistance and the explanation provided. The information is very helpful.

Customer’s exact requirement is, How can we know about Memory Usage for document replication when it comes to APPS10 ( to be more specific APPS10 UPD9) .

Will it be possible to get an answer for this ?

Or is there anyone from RnD team or any documentation to get the answer ?

Best Regards,

Thilini

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @ThilankaMadugoda 

Thank you very much for your assistance and the explanation provided. The information is very helpful.

Customer’s exact requirement is, How can we know about Memory Usage for document replication when it comes to APPS10 ( to be more specific APPS10 UPD9) .

Will it be possible to get an answer for this ?

Or is there anyone from RnD team or any documentation to get the answer ?

Best Regards,

Thilini

@Seehasssara @Krishantha @ereslk - Do you have any information around this ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Received answer: With the 2gb default maximum heap space allocated for the application server you can replicate up to 100mb file size. However, if you are replicating more than 100mb size file it is RnD recommendation to increase the maximum memory size into 4gb.