Question

How to cancel a credit invoice?

• 11 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Help needed please! I have raised a credit note for a customer and wanted to charge them an uplift fee. Instead of it taking the fee off the credit note it has given it to them on top of the credit. I now know that I have to put a minus figure in the charges in order to take it from the customer.

I obviously need to correct this so what is the procedure for cancelling a credit note and re-raising it correctly? 

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

If the credit was given directly from the customer order invoice - Create credit process, you can do the same - again, but then edit the “new” credit as needed.  The idea is to create a matching credit to offset what was done in error.  Then do what you need to do for the “final” credit.    The Finance team can offset the two erroneous credits so these will be “paid” and not show as open invoices.   

I would suggest testing this in test.   Provided the credit / invoice is PR preliminary state, you can mostly do anything you want even changing -100 to 100 for example.   The editing of the reversing credit will be done as to match the credit done in error except opposite. 

For the final credit, maybe consider a correction type invoice from the original invoice.    If your credit (by mistake) was generated from a correction invoice - I believe you can do same concept (multiple correction invoices) to fix the issue. 

The other option would be to use the instant invoice function to create any adjusting invoice you may need. The downside for instant invoice is that it will not show in sales history. Maybe that’s a good thing based on what you want to do. 

Best regards

Badge +2

Hi,

thank you for your reply. Can I just check if the procedures you’ve outlined are for if you have already printed the credit? I have actually printed the credit it’s not just at the released or planned stage. 

Or, do I have to raise a new ‘order’ to create an invoice to cancel the credit then start again from scratch?  

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

The recommendations assume you created and printed the credit - Posted auth or similar status). The assumption on my side is you have not yet delivered the credit to the customer meaning they have not seen it. 

I suggest you test this in a testing type environment.   The process will work, it’s just better that you are very familiar with the outcome - how you want it to look before doing this in PROD. 

Best regards

Badge +2

Hi,

the customer may well have seen it as it goes electronically through EDI. With this in mind is the better option just to raise a new ‘order’ to cancel the credit then redo the credit?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I would think you just still want to issue a second credit from the original order.  Given the customer may have seen the invoice, it’s then best to create an adjustment for the over.  This way all is linked to the original order. 

Best regards,