Contacts vs Comm Method on Customer & Supplier

• 18 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Curious how others are using Contacts and Comm Methods specifically around how configuring emailing Reports.  

Do you use both tabs?  Do you have your contacts set-up as separate Comm Methods?  Do you just use Comm Methods or Contacts?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @astfarazt ,

We have been utilizing the Comm Methods only for several years.  We do not use the contacts tab within IFS at all at present.  One we don’t need or want all the addition person records that creating a contact would generate.   We like Comm Methods and we setup defaults for customer and suppliers and we setup defaults for ship to’s and supplier locations.   

On customer records we’ve set the AR Customer to use an email address from the Comm Methods so we can have IFS send invoices and other report directly to that individual.   In many cases the email address we use is a distribution list at the our customer site so it never changes as people come and go at the customer or supplier.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @astfarazt ,

We have been utilizing the Comm Methods only for several years.  We do not use the contacts tab within IFS at all at present.  One we don’t need or want all the addition person records that creating a contact would generate.   We like Comm Methods and we setup defaults for customer and suppliers and we setup defaults for ship to’s and supplier locations.   

On customer records we’ve set the AR Customer to use an email address from the Comm Methods so we can have IFS send invoices and other report directly to that individual.   In many cases the email address we use is a distribution list at the our customer site so it never changes as people come and go at the customer or supplier.

Regards,

William Klotz

Thanks for the reply, @william.klotz.  Apologies for the delay, I did not receive a notification that anyone had responded.  

The way you are utilizing this functionality seems consistent with how I see most organizations use it.  

Although, I’ve heard some anecdotal feedback that Comm Methods may be a relic in future cloud releases.  I have not seen that in 21R2, but maybe someone else is aware of what the future roadmap looks like for this functionality.